HybridZ

Snapped/Over tigthened head bolt!!!!

Hi Def

Is there a big issue with L-Heads "Lifting"? It ain't a 5.0 Ford running 1400HP.... The main reason studs are used is ease of teardown and refresh during the season. As the threads are installed to the block permanently without real torque, and only under tension, they don't wear and subsequently give a repeatable clamping force compared to bolts which, when re-used, polish the threads decreasing friction. This friction can account to up to 15% of the total torque you register on the wrench. Generally only about 10% of the torque actually goes to clamping. If you decrease the friction under head (75%), or on the threads(15%), then you over-stretch the fastener and can precipitate a tensile failure. The reason you use new bolts each time is specifically to PREVENT THIS! You don't RE-USE ARP FASTENERS EITHER! They are VERY specific: their nuts are to be used ONCE and chucked. For the EXACT same reason. Run the threads one time and you decrease their friction. If you aren't using angle-turn fasteners and only torque as an indication of 'tight' you end up breaking bolts. This has been covered before.

How the hell did you fracture a bolt 3-4 threads INTO the block? That would seem to be pulling out 3-4 threads FROM the block if it fractured there.

Generally the failure point is the first thread out of the block where there is a stress concentration.

I got to wonder what you did to a new bolt to get it to break. Something big is missing from this story either in calibration or technique.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the broken bolt out. :) And no Tony,after getting the head off,it was above the deck. Lucky me. :) Ordering the NEW head bolts in a cpl days along with a new headgasket! Lol I do have to get the heat shield bolts extracted yet thou. Either that or wrap the manifold? I'm gonna end up driving the car from Wisconsin to Seattle this summer. 1,995 miles to be exact. Lol

Thanks everyone for responding,advising,and supporting me. Def will NOT cut a corner again. Lol