HybridZ

PID Tuning - Getting slow initial gain

BLOZ UP

Any engineers out there know how I can have a PD/PID controller ramp up slowly initially?

I am controlling two motors and I need it to not just jump up to the PWM specified by the current difference between distance and targetDistance (and speed), which causes jerk on my robot:

pwm = Kp * (targetDistance - currentDistance)/targetDistance + Kd * (targetSpeed - currentSpeed)/targetSpeed

Do I need the integral part to do this? I thought that's just to avoid overshoot. Right now it hardly ever overshoots--maybe 1-2 motor encoder clicks, which is more than fine for my application. However, the motors jerk on start up which kind of throws it off trajectory.

I tried changing it to PID of speed, distance, accel but it did exactly what I thought it would do. Kept on driving past the goal. My goal is to arrive at a certain distance. Although keeping the speed in check would be nice--without limiting the PWM, since the motors don't go the same speed given the same PWM value.

I could think of a couple ghetto ways to ramp it up slowly based on time--maybe, but surely there's a more common, elegant solution?

P/proportional

I/integral

D/derivative

P=Amount of distance away from target over (or under)1 usually the larger the number the smaller the movement made.

I=Time component acting usually as multiplier, as offset is noted, each integral time will act as precious p value calculated move plus the new calculated. Big I numbers can keep large swings under control. The longer the value is off setpoint the larger the move made will be. A big number will make slow response a small number will have it twitchy, and can make for radical swings into hysteresis if P number is small (fast acting) and the process is laggy

D=this is derivative, the acts and works of the devil and gives you anticipatory action based on rate of change sensed. Usually if you aren't fuzzy logic, best to leav D alone. Unfortunately PI controllers are either slow or fast and react constant-rate with an offset from setpoint moving linearly.

To get a different rate at start opposed to near target, likely som derivative action will be necessary.

Crap, iPhone down to 4%.... crapcrapcrapcarp!

The proportional part is normalized to percent since the distances can vary from 500 to 8000 or so, and I figured this was an easy way to keep the output within the range of 0-100.

Actually, I think I just thought of how to fix it.... I'm doing a PID of distance...

I need to control speed. And before setting the output, I can make the desired speed a function of percent done. That should do the ramp up and down for me, and leave the PID to keeping the motors sync'd.

Hmm... Now I need to drive all the way back to the lab....