HybridZ

FOund the F%^&#$ing problem

alsil

AL, I'm kind of sorry I had suggested doing a compression test in a recent email - very sorry that I lead you to this problem. Or maybe I'm glad you (might?) have found it.

Is that difference in compression enough to cause all your problems though? I had an L6 with a bad head gasket that had two cylinders down at 100 psi, while the others were 135ish. It was a dog, but didn't backfire, etc.

I know, I know, I should have checked this earlier, but I never had the time to go throught the engine as well. I did a compression check now, first since I put the engine back together. this is what I got.

1: 150

2: 140

3: 130

4: 135

5: 130

6: 120 (!!!)

7: 130

8: 140

I was not expecting that. So I guess I got a compression problem, so now I have to do a leakdown test. Hopefully it's the heads. That would be the easier fix. Still not sure I would trust it. But we'll see. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to dive farther into it. I only had an hour today.

AL icon_eek.gif

I'm sure that the compression is just ONE of the problems. The fact that it has bad compression tells me that there are more problems related to wear. I will do a leakdown probably thursday, but until then, I'm trying to get the stuff together to see if this 289 will work. Seems like it will.

This will teach me to buy and engine from some guy in Texas who obviously had this thing sitting out in the rain in the middle of a field before I bought it. icon_razz.gif

AL icon_biggrin.gif

Another idea-

What would happen if my fuel pressure was too high for the carb (it's not supposed to be, but my pump never slows down, it always pumps at the same rate)? should a pump (the one I have is a Carter) with 5-7 PSI be OK for hte Performer carb? I checked my floats, and they are set right, but if the pressure was too high, would it open them up? Could this cause my problem? I am just about to have it towed down to a place where they were going to go through it, but a friend of mine thought of this. What do you think? I have thoguht about getting a regulator, but I don't want to spend any more money. Suppose I'll have to.

Thanks

AL