HybridZ

351W in a '81 280Z? will it fit?

Guest Anonymous

Welcome to the question. I have been thinking about this for two years now and I am close to finding out. I just about have all the engine parts I need but things just keep getting in the way. I know a 302 will fit and a 351 is the same as the 302 it's just a little bit wider and higher so it should work. Height could be a problem as I will be running a victor jr and it might put the air cleaner into the hood. I don't know but I do know I will be building my headers.

Don

P.S. the 302 motor mounts should work.

Use the search function and you will find a lot of info that could help you. One tip, decide on a budget before you look at this board too much. Too many good ideas have lead me to spending more than I thought I would.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Dp351zcar ]

Guest Anonymous

Got these measurements from a summit catalogue for the 351w:

Width

(Exaust manifold to Exaust manifold)24".

Length

(Rear of block to water pump pulley)29".

Hight

(bottom of sump to air cleaner)27.5".

And wieght for those who are curious is 460lbs which is the lightest out of all chev, ford and chrysler engines given in the catalogue.

Try FOX Mustang mounts - Convertible 88-93 maybe. I think the convertible ones may be stiffer and possibly lower too. You'll still have to fab though! The FOX mounts have a stud sticking out or a bolt hole - can't recall which. Search around on the 'net for solid motor mounts and you shoud get a decent pic of them somewhere. They make solid drop mounts too that drop the motor an inch in a FOX body Mustang - these are also solid mounts. Having never done this these are my best guesses so go slow...

Guest Anonymous

Will the factory 5 speed be able to be used.

Can I use the transmission with a Ford bell housing?

Just wondering if the factory 5 speed can be used.Because The trans is a Tremec T5,right?

Guest Anonymous

Anything is possible with the right amounts of fabrication and money. You can't do it by just changing a bellhouse unless you know someone that makes such an item. But all things considered, why would you want to, it probably wouldn't handle the torque anyway. Also, a 5 sp auto in a 280z? Are you sure about that? icon_wink.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

icon_sad.gif sorry. icon_sad.gif

I meant 5 speed manual.I apologize for the confusion.

If anyone has a 302 inside their z, what kind of transmission do you have? Just wondering because I was wondering if a 302 manual trans from a Mustang would work with the 351W.

Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Umm, 302 and 351W share almost everything including heads, front cover, intake, and yes bellhousings. The T5 will swap just fine from one small block Ford to another in the same engine class (NOT onto a Cleveland!).

The flywheel is a different balance if memory serves so you'll have to have the correct one when doing the swap.

Clutch slave is another potential stumbling block but use of the SEARCH function should provide plenty of help for that as it's been hashed a few times.

Hrm, be aware that the blowshield bellhousings are bit bigger and VERY heavy should you consider using one of those...

Guest Anonymous

Ok it will fit. icon_smile.gif

SO i have to do is get a T5, bellhousing. So ihave toget the correct Flywheel, Slave cylinder..right?

And also, what is a blowshield? thanks. icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

A blow shield is a device that goes between your nose and... oh never mind.

I'm going with a tremic-3550 behind a pretty stout sb ford. You can get a Lakewood bellhousing (blow shield) for around $265. I'm not, I'm going stock-blow-your-feet-off-aluminum bellhousing just cuz it's more exciting that way. (J/K)

Jon