HybridZ

My trans' 'sploded!

MazerRackham

Hey, can I buy your new shift knob really cheap? Better yet, if I can get your sweet z off the side of the road, can I have it?

Really, from how flexible your shifter is, it looks like you lost your shifter c-clip and pin. You may have broken the "ears" off of your shifter mechanism on your shifter. They can be welded back on - my Z-had been repaired that way when I bought it 20 years ago. May even be able to do that without pulling the engine/tranny. Either that or the little ball on the end of your shifter handle broke off - I've seen a cracked one before. If that is it, a new shifter handle is pretty easy to source.

Remove the shifter boot and send us a photo of what you find. I really doubt it is anything catastrophic. Shhhhhhhh...was that a wolf, I just heard howling? Looks pretty lonely out there. Better smoke some of that medicinal cannabis to treat your anxiety!

Haha looks fun. I have no insight but wanted to subscribe so I know what's wrong in case that happens to me. Have you pulled the inner shift boot yet? I know there's a snap ring in there somewhere... (I'm just going off of what I've read... I don't currently own a Z car trans :o)

Remove the shifter boot and send us a photo of what you find. I really doubt it is anything catastrophic. Shhhhhhhh...was that a wolf, I just heard howling? Looks pretty lonely out there. Better smoke some of that medicinal cannabis to treat your anxiety!

Best post ever.

LOL will do! Thanks guys!!

Haha so have you figured out the problem yet?

My mommy and I just moved into a new house yesterday so no work done on my car whatsoever then. I'm at the coffee shop today studying. I have to turn in my application for Google Summer of Code so nothing but programming today. Maybe if I drink enough coffee I won't be able to sleep so I'll be forced to work on my car all night <3

By house I mean apartment... With no place for me to set out engine parts or tranny parts... Kinda sucks...

ALMOST FIXED IT!! WITH PICTURES!!!

So the circlip was saved by the grease. The pin somehow shook itself loose. I just put the pin back through, and I'm going to buy a new circlip tomorrow, but it should be safe enough to drive me to school tomorrow.

In the time between my car being towed, and the shifter shaking itself loose I think my fuel pump died.... Which would explain the slow degradation of performance as I demanded more from it, although I just recently installed new injectors. I'm going to test the pump right now with a volt meter just to be quadruple sure. AFM is good. Fuel line is good. I'm going to install a new fuel filter, and Fram G3 right after the tank. Should save me from having any future fuel pump pains... Hopefully...

I'll upload pictures tomorrow

Edited by MazerRackham