HybridZ

CARB PROBLEMS>>GUYS I NEED HELP!

Guys, I just upgraded my fuel system to the Holley Blue pump. I now run at 7 PSI at idle vice the measley 4PSI from the mechanical pump. I notice now that my carb hiccups when I floor it off the line and when I punch it rolling at 5 MPH or so It jumps but the engine almost dies then comes back. I am pissed and confussed...anyone ever have that problem? Do I need to adjust the bowl levels? I have a Holley 600 vacuum secondary. Any help is appreciated. I am about ready to throw the carb away and get an Edelbrock carb!!!! HELP!!!

CorZette

Since this occurred when you changed pumps... By all means check the float levels. The higher pressure might be raising the gas level before the needle/seat can shut the flow down. How are the needle/seat? Anything get in when changing the pump? Just a trickle should spill out of the sight plugs at idle. (fire extiguisher handy?). If you're getting a gusher out of the sight plugs and the float adjustment isn't helping, get the heavy duty needle seat/ assem. When your car hiccups or bogs, is it putting out black out the tailpipes, usually a too rich mixture transition from idle circuit to power, (my guess) or nothing, a too lean? Is 7 psi too high for idle? I'm not that familiar with the settings on the Blue pump. I've always run a regulator. Hope you find the trouble. (Probably see you over in the Fuel Delivery forum!)

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 05, 2000).]

Guest mattrp

Well, I also have a holley 600 single pumper and the holley blue pump. I have absolutely no problems, but I am running a holley regulator. Fuel comes to the regulator at 7, but I believe I have it cut down to 3 or 4 at the carb. Holleys dont like that much pressure if I remember right. Just my thoughts.

Matt

72 500Z

Corzette, I have a custom holly carb and the blue pump. I had all the exact same problems

you are having. Exactly what model holley

do you have? First you need to cut back on your fuel pressure to a little over 6 psi.

check your float level. then IF you have a

carb with a power valve take it out and plug it.

My car did the same stuff for a while, it was running way to rich from idle all the way up. and when you would goose it it would go silent like you turned off the ignition then blast to life....

here is my config

355 ci with big heads and cam,solid roller.

holly hp4150 carb 750 body with and 850 base plate. mechanical secondaries,no choke,holly blue pump...see pics in members rides...

it ran rich and would hesitate really bad.

here is how i got it to run right..

change the air bleeds for idle

remove power valve and plug it

re jet the carb with 76's at 4 corners.

the engine runs different like night and day!