HybridZ

Chevy vs. Ford

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have seen this battle duked out in message boards every where ford vs chevy my question is in engines which should i go with if i go to the chevy message board everyone says get a chevy if i go to ford everyone says ford, what are some pro`s- cons of the two? is one more reliable than the other? one more powerful stock?? also where to go to find engine info??? thanks guys icon_confused.gif

For starters-dont buy into the Ford -vs- Chevy Crapola! Just because someone likes a particular Mfg's displacement doesnt mean its any better than another Mfg's desplacement. For anyone to say that; is running their mouth purely on "Feelings".

Ford can match Chevy & Chevy can match Ford.

If you're asking your question in regards to which engine you should use in a Z-that is a personal one; but the answer has some merit. Obviously the Chevy engine swap is much more documented-therefore/any problem you run into will result in an answer much quicker; whereas a Ford swap is less documented & some of their problems require a little more thougth-but has been done often-therefore not impossible either.

Its your choice/Unless it's Mr.Ford telling you why their engine is better than a Chevy or unless its Mr.General telling you why their engines are better than Ford's...its merely someone expressing their passion for that Mfg's engine....and as a rodder-there's nothing wrong w/that: that's what's its all about.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest JAMIE T

Kevin is right about that Ford vs. Chevy crap. If you take a 302 Chevy, and a 302 Ford, both will perform the same given they have same equipment on top(Heads, cam, intake,etc...) As for which too use in a Zcar, the Ford is lighter, but the Chevy is very well documented. Cost would not be an issue between the two like it was a few years ago. Here at Hybridz, you have stumbled across the best group of die hard car guys you can imagine. Very few of us buy into the Chevy vs. Ford fued. I didn't use either one, I've got a Cadillac Northstar for my Zcar icon_biggrin.gif

Jamie

Deathstar

In the case of the Z swap, IMHO, it comes down to which is best documented. The Chevy is. Do you want a 6speed? Yup, GM is easiest. Most power? That's a crapshoot.

I'm a Ford guy. I know lot's about Fords andhave been involved with them for going on 16 years now. The late model FOX stuff I know plenty about. I'm putting a SBC in my Z icon_smile.gif There were just things that I wanted that were easier this way. IF motor mounts had been made for the Ford swap and a 6speed "deal" available for me I'd probably have gone Ford. But they weren't so I went Chevy. I expect to get at least as much power from this motor than I would a Ford (shrug).

Some advantages to the Ford swap though... Ford parts, at least the EFI stuff, seems to be cheaper. Manifolds, MAF meters, injectors, throttle bodies - it's everywhere. Wrecked FOX bodied Mustangs litter the junkyards. The motor is lighter too.

All in all it's a toss up and I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you want a 6speed then Ford is more expensive. If you want it simple with no fabrication then GM. If you want a lighter motor an ddon't mind the work - Ford. There's no one right answer...

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Pete is using what is basically a upgraded unit that normally goes in Fords but its been converted by the company for Chevy. Basically if you can get a adapter, you can run any tranny you like, the Z doesn't care much and if you can get a big T56 in there, theres probably little else that won't fit.

As far as the differences, the Ford is narrower, a tad longer depending on the casting considerably lighter (depends what you read and on who's scale, but probably a good 100 lbs anyway), there isn't a 'kit' per se on the Fords, and parts are slightly higher although not that much (depends on the item really). There are alot of aftermarket pieces for the 302 Fords and a injected 302 with a 5 speed makes a very nice swap into the Z. The pan will require replacement and you may have oil filter interference depending on your mounting scheme, a remote filter fixes that easily.

On the Chevy front, cheap parts, swap kit available, 6sp is cheaper than the Ford alternative 6sp and its been documented to death by members here and JTR who makes the swap kits. (Also MSA which makes a good kit, just a tad more pricey with they're ala carte ordering scheme(to be fair JTR pieces can be bought separately as well)). The Chevy's weight penalty can be offset by using aluminum heads, water pump, intake and such.

Thats about it, as far as I can remember. Bottom line, drive what you like, the HybridZ people dig any swap, and the purists will hate anything non-Nissan anyway so it won't matter. Pick the brand you like and let the metal fly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regards,

Lone

Heh, I can't wait till I see a Buick 455 or Mopar 340 swap! I hate the whole Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar thing.

Like they said, do what you want, it doesn't matter too much. The Ford is lighter, the Chevy is better documented. It's up to only you!

BTW, I'm running an old style 327 Chevy small block, a straight up bellhousing and a Tremec TR3550 5spd converted to Chevy use by darkhorse performance. My site has the details if you're interested.

Welcome to HybridZ! If you're here, either you aren't feeble minded, or the rest of us are too! icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'm going on the presumption that you're considering a decision between a 302 Ford and a small block chevy here "notsofeeblesabie".......

The small block Chevy is the most abundant engine on the planet. Parts are very swappable between engines and whether you're building a 283sb Chevy all the way up to a 400sb all the peripheral parts fit. This means if you break down in Lodi you'll likely find the parts to limp home for cheap. I'm sure that in reality for the average builder using new parts, and a carb set-up, it costs more to get the same hp from a 302 Ford than a sb Chevy. And just think, that 283 Chevy doesn't weigh much (if any) less than any 302/305/307/327/350/400 c.i. engine, the block casting is the same. As a matter of fact I believe the only thing that won't swap on these engines is that the 400 heads(and intake?) have extra water jackets.

I personally think that there might be more mechanics who can competently do your work for you if you aren't so inclined on the chevy.

Those 302 Chevys were amazing, my father built a car that set 2 world records dragracing at Bristol Tn. using that engine.('69-'70)

For a stock motor, I think the MOPAR is built stronger, then the ford then the chevy. has anyone put a hemi in a Z yet?

However I must give Ford some credit, blue paint tends to be cheaper than red or orange.... Ford has come a long way in that department, you used to be able to get it any color as long as it was black...hehe

Whataya say Ford guys?

Mark

ZwebBUT.gif

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

Guest John Adkins

I'm not a Ford or Chevy guy,(actually I like all American V8s but I'm currently involved with small block Mopar) but I've observed that small block chevy parts interchangability hasn't been like it used to be.... the mid 80's change to the one piece rear main seal on the SBC made crankshafts not quite as interchangable. Didn't this also change the balancing of the flywheel and damper too?

Then came the LT1 , LT4 and currently the LS1. Does anything on the LS1 interchange with the old SBC?

The Ford 302/5.0 parts prices have been coming down due to the popularity of the 5.0 Mustangs... prices on most engine parts are comparable to the SBC these days....the only problem is that they lack cubic inches when compared to the SBC 350...

Parts for Mopars are usually about 20% higher in price than SBC parts, but this seems to be going down as well, due to increased popularity ...

If I ever get my Mopar small block 240Z project done,(probably years from now the way I'm going) I'd really like to try building a large discplacement Chevy straight 6 with a Pontiac OHC head!

Here's my take:

Chevy 350, heavier, more displacement, but easier to swap.

Ford 302, lighter, less displacement, harder to swap.

All other things being the same, (and stock), I don't think there would be much difference performance wise. The 350 makes up for extra weight with more power. The 302 makes up for less displacement by being lighter.

I put a 302 in my car, and the engine/tranny combo is so much lighter than stock that my MSA 1.5" lowering springs make my car sit at stock ride height. Have yet to weight the car, but I would bet I'm in the 2200lbs range.

But you can do the same with a 350 if you lighten the load. All up to what you are familiar with and what you prefer. I have the RX7 mentality, lighter is better.

But I still love my '66 Chevy PU.

AL

im a chevy man, but i like 86-93 5.0's a whole lot, and i personally think that years motor and trans is a hot combo to stick in a z, the 305 that came in irocs with a t-5 doesnt compare to the rollerization in stock form. it really likes to rev, with a nice punch in the top end, and it sounds cool too.

personally, i would like to see some mopar in a z as well, like a 440 six pack a33 combo with the shaker hood scoop, maybe a grabber green paint job too, hey. i have just found chevy parts to be very abundant and price friendly, and thats just my pref.

Guest Anonymous

thanks guys you have teached the feeble one a thing or two i am leaning toward ford at this point due to the fact that it isnt a well documented project sounds like something i can fix!!! i will take alot of pictures and maybe document it a little better, and help the other feeble minded hybrid z fans. ne ways thanks guys as usual you inspire me!!!!

I'd like to know how well the 351W fits. It shouldn't be a bad swap, it's deck isn't that much taller! Lot's of parts out there for them and the 351W is just all around a tougher motor. Can be stroked to over 400cubes too icon_smile.gif Just need an easy documented source for the swap and motor mounts that cna be easily gotten. Not all of us have the access to what's needed to fabricate mounts...

Yes, I wound up using those. I have revised the dims a little bit, but pretty much it's just like the pic. It mounts the engine against the firewall (although you can move it where you want it with these mounts) and the front part of the pan JUST above the crossmember. Check out the pics on my page:

http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-370s.jpg

http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-369s.jpg

http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-380s.jpg

those are old pics, but you get the idea. I will update the whole page soon, since I have done a ton since the last pics.

AL

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: alsil ]

I think the 351W would fit the same, since the architechture is the same, but you would have to use a taller hood. My 302 with a Performer Intake, no spacer, Edelbrock 1406, and a 3" K&N air cleaner BARELY fits. I had to cut the air cleaner stud so the hood wouldn't hit! The 351W would be almost an inch taller (depending on what intake you use), so you would have to use one of those taller hoods. But it would fit. Exhaust would be a little tougher, since it's slightly farther out to the sides, but other than that, should be the same.

Guest Anonymous

Spot says there's already an aluminum intake and 650 double pumper on it- (I don't know anyhting about fords since I'm barely learning) Does that mean anything for fitting the 351 under the hood?