HybridZ

Should 280Z hazard lights flash with key off?

My turn signals and hazard lights weren't working, so I read all the threads I could find and with a replacement hazard switch got both the turn signals and hazard lights working with the ignition on.

Question I have is should the hazards work when the key is off? I have to pass a light and safety inspection to get my Velo Rossa licensed and don't want to get there and find out the hazards have to work with key on or off.

Thanks

Michael

Just went out and checked mine. They work with the key off. I drive an 80 280zx though, not an s30.

Makes sense for them to work with the key in the off position though

Another friend just checked and said the same thing. In all the threads on getting turn signals to work, I don't think this particular topic came up. Lots of problems with turn signals not working, hazards not working or both, but not one on hazards not working with key off.

Wiring diagrams are wonderful things. That and neck stretching under a dash. No power at the red/blue wire at the hazard flasher. Have power across the fuse block. Then noticed a 2 inch long red/white wire sticking out of the fuse block with the last half inch bare. Checked it and sure enough its hot. I know the guy I bought the car from was a dufus, but leaving a hot wire bare?

Anyway, what I saw he did was connect a solid blue wire that's only hot when the ignition is on to the red/white wire heading to the hazard flasher unit. I wonder what he was doing and why?

The wiring diagram shows that that red/white wire goes to the instrument panel and become red/blue when it comes out to the flasher. Maybe it feeds the clock and he didn't want the clock to run his battery down? No idea, but I got it fixed.

Thanks for you help. I love this community.

Michael

Edited by mclark999