HybridZ

1977 280z will crank once die then wont crank again

Like the title says my 1977 280z will crank once and with the throttle held to the floor will run at like 1200 rpms then it will die out and wont crank back up. I just had the gas tank redone. I unplugged the MAS and it does the same as it does plugged up. It has a good Fuel pressure regulator also. The car ran perfect 2 weeks ago with a milk jug as a substitute for a gas tank. it did sit without the gas tank for about 3 weeks. Please help...

• 2 weeks later...

My 75 280z had similar symptoms. The plugs would get flooded and the engine would shut off. When I drive it, the engine would choke and run like crap. It would not rev pass 3000 rpm.

I just fixed it the other week. I will ask my father about what he did specifically. I remember him say that it was a problem with a GROUND connection. When he grounded the connection, the engine would idle smooth. When he removed the ground, the engine started to choke again. The car ran perfect after we fixed the GROUND connection. Right now though, the car is not running do to a bad voltage regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the bad GROUND connection was making the engine run rich, which in result, floods the cylinder and kills the spark plugs.

Hi Yhiz,

Specifically which ground connection?

When my car idles, you can hear that it is running rich. The problem starts when driving and getting up to 3000 rpms. It will not rev over 3000. If you take the

oil cap off, the engine seems to idle normally.

I also have a 7/77 280z. Do you have a resistor on the wire from the harness to the Temperature Sensor? Mine has a 680 ohms resister inline.

This will be the wires that go across the top of the engine, by the fuel rail, to the front of the engine, they plug into the engine block behind the fan. Mine has

2 pairs of wires, each goes to a different plug, and a single wire that goes into the block.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jkeese01