HybridZ

My Z is getting an early christmas

74_5.0L_Z

my cars getting jealous shifty.gif

how'd the updated mounts work out?

do you have any issues with the rev limiter in the EECIV? mine seems to really hit the limit and i'd like to put in a bigger TB and eliminate the limiter.....

Umm, I'm not sure th eExtender is terribly available despite it's being in th ecatalog. I'd also point out that the Fords, like almost all O2 equipped cars, do NOT use the O2 sensor for WOT. As such I'd be real interested as to how the Extender changes WOT A/F ratios unless it simply monkeys with the signal or modifies internal tables.

If you guys really want to tinker with the EEC-IV I can dig up some EFI links. There's at least one fairly decent priced box out there that's user programmable. Unfortunatly it's software isn't as advanced as say the GEN7 DFI or the FAST system icon_sad.gif It would require some learning on your part but it's under a grand... (shrug) I may have posted it osmewhere here before, name of the box is escaping me right now. icon_sad.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest JAMIE T

Traildawgs right, Superchips offers an "off the shelf" chip that only removes the rev limiter on eec equiped cars. I think a buddy paid $180 for his, maybe less, but I think thats about right. BLKMGK is also on to something, I think the programmable set-up he is refering to is the same one I had on my 'stang. Its called a PMS. Its very similar to the old Crane Intercepter II(which is what mine is, only modified by the PMS guys to be just like the PMS) Mine has also been modified to hook up to a laptop for datalogging. Check out Anderson Ford Motorsports, they have a web sight, but I don't know the address. On the other hand BLKMGK may be referring to a system called the SpeedBrain, it's also a plug and play deal the works with a laptop. Honestly though, I have been through every stage of 5.0 development, I have been able to tune the heck out of a mustang with only fuel pressure and timing. If your still using the stock cam and intake, then revving the engine past @5300rpm will just add un-needed wear on the engine. I would recommend getting the Superchips chip mentioned above, and using an MSD 6al to control over revving(it's a better rev limiter than stock), get an adjustable fuel pressure regulater(even the cheap ones work fine until a supercharger/turbo are added) and a fuel pressure gauge. As for making the engine a rev happy piece, the intake, cam, and heads give-up(making power) before the bottom end does. I have built the stock HO heads to outflow the Edelbrock Performer 5.0 heads, but the price was only alittle less than those Alum heads, so for the money it was not worth it(they weren't mine, I did them for a guy who was building a sleeper)I have used the Performer 5.0 heads, the Trickflow(Summit) twisted wedge heads, Trickflow(Wil-Burt) Street heat heads, and my favorite the Edelbrock Victor Jr. head, as well as other factory castings(GT40, E7TE, and early 351W). The Twistedwedge head is the best performing, OUT OF THE BOX head. The Performer head is great for Boosted applications as it has very high velocity runners and very thick deck surface. The Wil-Burt Street Heat is designed for professional engine builders to port and finish for each individual engine. The ports are about the size as the Perfomer head when run out of the box, but they have very thick castings to allow for custom porting, and port shaping. Those heads are very rare these days as they are being horded by the Pro 5.0 racers and engine builders. The other Iron heads I mentioned work fine for NA street engines when max HP and weight is not an issue. The Victor Jr. head is designed to be be a well flowing(mine flowed 300cfm on the intake, out of the box)head that can be run as-is without porting to make over 500hp in NA form on a 351W engine. I ordered mine bare with the valves(2.08" and 1.60")so I could choose valve springs to go with the cam and use Titanium retainers. Those heads(with port clean-up) on a NA 357 cube engine with HEALTHY solid roller cam made a 3000lb stang run 10.50's at @130mph, with the NOS fogger set-up for a conservative shot, the car went 9.50's, I don't recall the MPH, but it was high icon_wink.gif with no 'chute, we got kicked out of the track.

As a side note, That same engine will maybe find its way into one of my Zcars, as my brother who WAS going to put it into a Factory Five Roadster(cobra replica) is about to have another child, and the idea of a 2 seater does not appeal to him anymore. We are looking for a '39-'40, '46-'48 Ford coupes for him to build a Custom out of. The 357 cube engine is a .030" over 351W, it has a .672 lift solid roller cam, above mentioned heads, Eagle rods, custom(had to order 10 of them) forged flattop pistons, stock stroke crank, a Victor Jr. intake(modified to straighten the runners, a Direct port fogger, and a plate nitrous system, and a 950HP Holley(modified) The block is a work off art, it has been shot peened and smoothed through-out, has head and main studs(no girdle) and has been Zero decked. My brother traded the C4 w/transbrake for a Tremec TKO when he decided to put the engine in a Cobra replica, he also sold the Canton oil pan and 1 7/8 headers as they would not work for that application. I'm thinking of buying that set-up back from him to run in a Zcar. I think that it would run very deep 10's on the motor and equily low 9's when sprayed lightly, even with the manual trans. Hmm, I wonder how many mufflers I can fit under a Zcar.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

The engine still has the stock bottom end(untouched with umpteen bazillion miles), but now has Edelbrock performer heads, Crower 15511 cam, 1.72 roller rockers, port matched Cobra intake, 24# injectors, C&L 73mm mass air, and BBK 70mm TB.

It probably only makes a little over 300hp(butt dyno) but moves this 260 real fast. You guys with the 400+ motors must really have scary rides.

I haven't had the car to the 1/4 since adding the heads, cam, and intake but anticipate 12.20 to 12.30 time at ~112(It ran 13.20s @104 with the stock 5.0).

I autocrossed the car the day after I got it back together with the new parts. I raced over a dozen cobra replicas(factory five, ERA, ...) many mustangs, turbo 944s, and others, and got my first Fast Time of Day. icon_biggrin.gif On inspection after the race, I discovered that I was running with 0 timing advance.