HybridZ

Just got a 280z!!

Well I just got a 280z for free, the owner said it ran about 2 years ago and he did'nt start it last year. He seems to think that the engine is seized?? would that be a possibility if it hasn't been run i a while? Is there a way to check and see if it is seized up? Is it Possible to turn the motor over by turning the crank with a socket and long handle? Is there anything you would look at specifically besides the fuel tank that might need replaced right off.?? Thanks for all help in advance I hace a feeling i'm gonna be on here ALOT over the next few month's, years !! haha

thanks neil

you could try doing that yes but make sure to put some starting fluid in the plug holes or wd-40 something to lube the cylinder walls to keep from scoring them

The old owner said he put something in the cylinders but he couldnt remember what it was.. I will try looking in the cylindes and seeing if i can see anything also.. thanks

Disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel rail and see if you can pump fuel into a can or bottle. If nothing comes out, make sure the pump is turning on, the fuel filter isnt plugged, and if the fuel filter is plugged that the fuel tank supply line (behind the rear passenger wheel) isnt clogged.

Does it crank?

So someone suggested that I put alot of oil, like marvels into the cylinders and let it sit for a few days, does that sound like a good idea??

It's advice I've heard many times, so I'd be willing to try it if my engine didn't spin. I can't see a down side to giving it a try....

Make sure to leave the spark plugs out and crank the engine push out the oil from the cylinders. If there is too much oil in the cylinders when you try to start it it could hydraulic lock a cylinder and bed a rod. Also, Marvel Mystery Oil is thin and some of it will run past the rings into the crankcase so make sure to change the oil right away.