HybridZ

Headgasket

8DC

Looking for a headgasket. Stock '76 L28 with an N42 head.

Doing a search and reading through old threads it seems that many people have problems with FelPro headgaskets, which are ubiquitous. The brand suggested most often in the older threads is Victor Reinz, which is no longer available (I've checked NAPA, O'Reilly, Advance, Carquest).

The only other brand I have come across is Beck/Arnley. Has anyone had experience with their headgaskets? Better than the FelPros or should I just order FelPro and hope that their quality has improved?

*EDIT* Nevermind, it appears that the Beck/Arnley that Advance offers is a 2mm gasket, not (correct me if I'm wrong) the stock 1mm thick gasket.

I don't want to spend hundreds on a metal gasket, I just want a decent brand that I won't have to worry about. Any suggestions?

Edited by 8DC

Thanks for the response.

The Ishinos that I am coming across in searches are for 77+ cars. What is the difference between the 76 and 77 L28? Can these be used?

Also, is Nippon Reinz the same company or related in some way to (possibly a new name for?) Victor Reinz?

Edited by 8DC

No problem!

75-76 and early 77 cars came with the n42 head. 77-78 came with the n47 head. The only difference between these heads are the liners in the exhaust ports for emissions and the valve seats. Neither of which effect the head gasket!

Should be able to use a gasket designed for a 77 without any issues on your 76.

I haven't ever heard of "Nippon Reinz" or "Victor Reinz", but I am far from being an L-series expert. "Nippon" sounds familiar, but I don't have any info other than recognizing the name. Sorry.

I've used Felpro on both NA and turbo L28s and have had no issues, save one time when I was having trouble tuning the boost controller and over boosted beyond 20 psi repeatedly with the stock head bolts. Hard to blame Felpro for that, especially since I later found out that my torque wrench reads about 10% high (head bolts were only torqued to ~55 lb-ft).

Make sure the head and deck are flat, and then properly clean both, and then properly torque them, and you'll be fine using a Felpro on an NA engine.

I used a FelPro on my rebuild because when I pulled the old beat-up motor apart the ancient FelPro gasket came off clean.

That was a small pleasure.

Probably has more to do with Prep that ZManco mentioned above than a lot of other things.

Gah. I'm having a hard time finding even the FelPros in anyone's system around here, pretty much everywhere says the same thing, that they come from the factory.

If I'm going to order them, I may as well do it myself online.

Looking at the Ishino set at PartsGeek for a '77... besides the headgasket, how many of the gaskets in a '77 headgasket set can be used on my '76? (n47 versus n42 heads)

Edited by 8DC

Both Autozone and O'Reilly carry Felpro. You can order through your local store or online.

rockauto.com carries them as well and for me, is often faster than the local stores since they don't stock much for older cars anymore. Rock Auto's lower price coupled with the time and gas saved often makes them cheaper than the chain stores too.

I will just chime in here and say that I have run a fel-pro on my 1980 280ZX with 11.5:1 compression for years and have never had a problem. I have put close to 40,000 on it since the head swap and its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of the other gaskets in a '77 headgasket set will I be able to use on my stock '76 280Z?

Needed the set for this weekend and no one seemed able to get me FelPros soon enough, so I went with the '77 Ishino set off of PartsGeek (they offer overnight delivery).

Edited by 8DC