HybridZ

1972 240z LS1/T56/R230 build

Damn looking sexy so far, giving me ideas for when i start working on mine. Where did you get the exhaust flanges and how much? if you dont mind me asking. Dont lets us miss out on the fabrication of the exhaust headers, i want to know how it turns out so i can get ideas when i do mine.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were like 50 bucks or so with gaskets and bolts, on summit cant remember the brand off the top of my head...

Ill try to grab as many pics as possible, still tumbling design ideas in my head for them though, not sure what ill go with.

Anywho, small text update. I had big plans for today, that turned into getting my buddys B16 Austin Mini running, and clearancing the fenders... and then helping my buddy daniel out with his newly acquired 240, and then just general bullshit, and in the end, the only thing i accomplished was plasma cutting out the stock transmission mount ears.

Tomorrow, i plan on picking up some hose holders and making my return line, and finishing up my entire fuel system, as well as getting the superfluous holes in the engine bay welded and smoothed, and doing a bit of cleanup as far as my tweaked front end is concerned (drivers side was nudged at one point and repaired poorly, probably just going to reinforce the sway bar mounts, and the frame behind the crossmember and dealwithit.jpg

I also got my F body oil pan and installed it, and the motor is basically ready to install...

• 2 weeks later...

After a week and a half or so of procrastination and all around not wanting to work on the car, i actually got something done today

First off, i got the boss cut off of the block to clear for the JCI engine mount, unfortunately, i had to do so with a cutoff wheel...

once that was done, i got my fuel lines bent and installed with some rivets...,

Awesomely, my parents in their infinite wisdom thought it would be a great idea to throw boxes out without looking to see if there was **** in them, Luckily, my recycling didnt get taken out this week, so i didnt have to go buy 40 dollars worth of fittings (AGAIN). However, Igot the fittings on for the feed line, the return line needs to be buttoned up though... My next day off (tuesday -_-) i am going to try to get some of the superfluous holes in my engine bay shaved, but we will see

My Motor mounts finally shipped as well, so once those are here, im going to try and get this knocked out ASAP.

While cutting off bosses - don't forget there is one on the driver side head that will conflict with the JTR headers (if you use them or might ever use them). Might as well cut that one off too and cut any junk off the passenger side of the transmission that is unneccesary. That side gets pretty crowded in the tunnel. The driver side of the tranny has lots of room and you may not even need to hammer a clearance bubble for the shifter solenoid.

I didn't have to touch the left [driver] side of the tranny tunnel but did massage the right side. Discovered later that if I had modified the thingy [can't remember what it is but am thinking reverse or such] on the right side of the tranny I could have avoided any massaging. What we did for EvilC's swap is take apart the plug on that connection [which comes straight out of the tranny] and run it at a 90 degree angle. Doing so provided another 1" + of room! Hope this all makes some sense...

Rebekah. I am making my own headers. So it's a nonissue, we will find out when my mounts get here what kind of massaging the tunnel needs. I'm not on a be able to get any more work done until Monday anyway

Also. On a side note. No decided to put the r200 long nose back on for the time being, mostly because my mustang needs tires and I don't want to spend the 650-1000 to get the r230 in right now. There's more important stuff to buy

No pics sadly, but i got my engine mounts and radiator today, i was HOPING to get the motor in, but that didnt happen, my engine bay has been ghetto smoothed (holes welded and ground down, some are prettier than others,> and i got all the bits in place, tuesday (or whenever my next day off is) the motor and trans are going in, and im gonna try to get it wired up and maybe get a first fire, and get a measurement for a driveshaft (im going to try and get it done local)

My motor and trans are in. Again no pictures, i am allergic. Ill try and grab some tomorrow before work.

everything went together nearly without a hitch, however my clutch line is giving me problems, so im going to have to go get another hose end.

I also got my fuel system buttoned up, which was just the last two lines.

The one major issue i ended up having was the shifter was very much too far forward, so i pie cut and bent the shifter handle, i may do it a bit more, its still way too close to the dash

Shitty update i know, hopefully ill have more soon, it still needs wiring (ugh) and a driveshaft, and exhaust, but it will happen

photo30.jpg

ze proof. I got my clutch line and accelerator cable in...

Tomorrow morning, if i am able to get up early enough, i am going to try to get my diff in so i can get a measurement for a DS and MAYBE go talk to someone local about getting one made, or i might just sleep in, whatever i end up doing...

Sunday my goal is to get the engine management installed and wired, and then thursday, i am going to try and get my headers built and then i might just be able to get a first start up in this byotch

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Thank man, I'm trying

Yesterday I got all the mounts cinched up, and got a measurement for the driveshaft, sadly I didn't have time to go talk to a driveshaft shop but I'm gonna try tomorrow...

Good news is, the diff is in, and the starter and alternator are both wired. I started getting my ems installe last night but that got as far as mounting my xim box , I need a bigger hole saw to fit that crap through the firewall...

Starter is working and I have the engine and trans fille with fluid..

Header wise, I am drastically re thinking my idea to go with long tubes, mostly because of the starter clearance, I think I may build some shorties or maybe even some tri y's. I just dont want to have to remove the header to get to the starter...

Yeah seriously, unfortunately, my drivers side inner fender is taken up with cabin space so thats a no go... mehbeh if i decide to ditch the floor mounts later on...

Ive been slowly sorting out my wiring in my after work time. Hopefully tomorrow night i can have it all buttoned up and ready for the headers.

Im gonna take my driveshafts down to a shop to try and have them frankensteined tomorrow morning as well, however it looks like im going to have to go with JCI's driveshaft, everyone i have talked to has told me that all components will need to be replaced due to the non serviceable nature of the U joints.. hopefully it will be cheap, but i doubt it...

Don't rush yourself on your wiring. It took me MUCH longer than I thought it would, but I'm pleased with the results. Try to plan it so that it is easy to pull the engine (just my thoughts). I see people trying so hard to conceil the wiring that I expect it will make it more difficult to pull the engine for service work. Weather pack connectors rock.

I'm trying I make it look nice but I'm not gonna jump through hoops to hide it, I just drilled a new firewall hole and ran em next to the old wiring harness firewall hole. I should actually be able to have it done tonight or tomorrow as its pretty damn straightforward... Both of y ecu modules are in and the wires are run to the engine, now it's just a matter of getting the other wires hooked up and everything installed

The driveshaft is gonna cost me about 170 to get the old one shortened, I'm a bit weary of having the z size rear u joint but I figure I'll blow the r200 or axles before that, when I actually get around to getting th r230 in I'll get a beefy ds made