HybridZ

Evaporation tank removal question

Ptero

When removing the evaporation tank, is it necessary to connect any of those hoses back to the filler neck? Or is it possible to just plug all hoses? If plugged, does that just mean you can't fill your tank all the way?

Any input is appreciated.

I closed off all of the nipples on the tank except for the one that is high up on the tank on the passenger side side. I ran some high quality fuel line from that nipple to the filler neck where the vent tank used to connect to the the filler neck. The purpose was to allow air to escape from the highest part of the tank back out the filler neck when fillig the tank. There is an existing hole on the passenger side that you can feed the line from the tank up into the car for connection to the vent tank.

You require venting when filling AND when the car is running. Air has to get in or out as gas is added or removed.

Common method is to use ONE vent line (top side) to the filler neck, with a tee that connects to the existing (1/4", or 3/16") hard vent line that you already have that goes up front to vent to the crank case via the little valve thing below the coil (240's anyway) or to the carbon can on 280's. Do not plug all your vent lines!

Jim

I forgot to mention that my set up is a carbed SBC V8. So if your car is still stock you may want to reconsider blocking off all of the vent lines. I was going to add a vent to allow air into the tank as Jim mentioned, but haven't had any problems with fuel flow. Enough air leaks in under the gas cap to avoid creating a vaccume most likely.

Edited by Miles

We did the same as z240. The only difference is we run the vent line from the T-fitting at the filler neck up and over the filler, then down through the floor of the car out near the right rear wheel. This allowed removal of the control valves and hoses from the engine compartment.

We did the same as z240. The only difference is we run the vent line from the T-fitting at the filler neck up and over the filler, then down through the floor of the car out near the right rear wheel. This allowed removal of the control valves and hoses from the engine compartment.

This is the approach I had considered, but was concerned about fuel expanding and leaking out. Any problems with leaks?

Not so far. We have never observed any leaks due to expansion. The way we use the car may impact this. We use the car at the race track so the fuel get consumed quickly; the car does not sit with a full tank for long.

If I overfill mine on a hot day fuel will seep out under the gas cap. Not a problem as long as I stop filling when the gas pump senses "full tank".