HybridZ

Engine & Tranny Rebuild Kits

I read about a member on Classic Z car forums who sourced every part from specialty places and ended up saving himself a couple hundred dollars compared to a complete rebuild kit. It took him a long time to source all the parts, but since he has already done all the hard work of find the locations I have opted to contact him. I am starting this thread because I want to know whether the price difference in sourcing individual parts of the kit is worth the effort over buying a complete kit. I also want to know if there are any complete kits available, the quality of the kits and any caveats I should be aware of. I have done some preliminary searching but the information is scattered between topics that specialize in either the Engine or the Transmission. I hope by you veteran users chiming in we can create a comprehensive up-to-date source of information.

It really depends on your quantification of 'quality' firstly.

What 'grade' of parts will you accept? "Cheapest Possible Way Please" infers using things which most here would find objectionable in quality. They may work short-term, but long term don't hold up requiring a teardown and replacement.

It also depends on your tolerance for delay. If it is acceptable to you to wait for 6 months to a year for a 'cheap' price to come up on a component then sure it 'can' be done cheaper. I'd suggest a time frame for delivery might get this into a real-world scenario: immediate parts availability (one day to one month delay), short wait availability (60-90 days wait), medium wait availability (6 months to a year), and long-term gathering availability (parts acquisition timeframe of a year or longer.)

Each of those can have distinctly different pricing demands. And frankly between the first and last using identical quality components the cost savings may indeed only be a couple of hundred dollars.

I've got a complete Nissan Engine Parts Kit, assembled and waiting--ALL NISSAN PARTS IN NISSAN BOXES FROM A NISSAN DEALER. The parts were bought in Japan when the yen was high compared to now... I paid a dollar a bearing, the timing kit was $25. Prices today are considerably higher (if they can be found...) The entire "Kit" out the door from Nissan-Prince Naha was just under $900 at the time. L14 Rods (set of 6) included! That included the 'nismo' 780KG pressure plate and clutch disc, roller pilot bearing, timing chain tensioner with limiter, turbo oil pump, new front cover, new distributor quill shaft, Nismo 74 degree camshaft (JDM Sourced and delivered through Competition Parts Department), sports option pistons, blah blah blah... No, it is not for sale but waiting 25+ years really saved me money! I don't think I could assemble this kit today for ANY PRICE! B)

Now, those tranny bearing and synchro kits... by all means get a list of sources up as that will save me the search for my 75 five speed! :PB)

Edited by Tony D