HybridZ

289 into 280zx turbo.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

is there a conversion kit?

or does everything have to be fabricated?

how hard is it?

I have noticed that summit racing sells a rebuild kit for the 289 that has 11.61:1 high compression pistons. in theory would these pistons just fit right on the existing rods, and I could use the stock heads/ valves? what kind of power would I be pushing?

is it possible to get a five speed to mate to one of these engines?

will this engine improve my handling at all?

not that I am building an econmy car here, but I was wondering what kind of fuel efficiency I would be getting with, and what is the best set up for efficiency- elderbrock fi? thanks,

Dylan

Guest Anonymous

I was also wondering, does the 289 rev quicker, or have any other advantages over the 302? I know that it they didnt have the high compression stuff for the 302. what about weight?

im not sure how about this, but the ford 289 is basically a destroked 302, and from my limited experience with fords i know the 302 to rev very nicely, i do believe it would rev faster with the even shorter stroke. five speed from mustang should bolt up. youll handle nearly the same as stock, but more power of course.

fuel efficiency is a matter of keeping your foot from burying it into the floor, which will get increasingly harder to do.

I prefer to say the 302 is a stroked version of the 289 (and bla bla bla). Anyway, I used to run a 289 years (decades) ago, and then when I lost one of my rods (289 rods are not easy to come by any more), I just opted for the 302 instead (much more ubiquitous). Anyway, when I did have my old 289, I many times went to 8 grand with cast pistons and the old SPS rod bolts (finally, years later I broke the ring lands). I have no imperical evidence to prove this, but I always felt the 289 reved and worked better than the 302. It may just be sentimental memories, but regardless, I have just finished balancing a 289 assembly, and am putting the motor together as I speak. I took the 12.5 pistons (.400" dome) and milled it to .100". In a 289 block it will yield about 10.1 compression ratio. In a late 60s early 70s 302 block it would be about 10.6 (less deck height)

The 289 can really be made to rev. My best friend and I run a 1964 comet in NHRA super stock. The car weighs 3250 lbs., and has a 289. With stock rotating assembly, stock compression, and stockk Autolite 4100 carb, the car runs 11.18 @118 mph. The class allows any cam (custom .740 lift roller) and valve train (Jesel rockers and stock valves), any intake (victor Jr). The car runs 1.48 60' times with no trans brake, and goes through the traps at 8800 rpms. :eek: