HybridZ

Is it my Timing Chain?

Dear HybridZ,

I would like to thank all who help out us less experienced owners with our Z's. My '77 280Z is my first car, so I am still learning about how these magnificent machines work. I have returned with another question, not to be confused with my dozen other ones.

Yesterday, I started hearing squealing whenever I would rev. Gradually revving would be fine, but if I drove or blipped the throttle, I would hear a squeal, very similar to a timing belt squeal. Now, my car is fairly loud at the moment, due to the fact that I ordered a new exhaust kit, but ended up getting the wrong exhaust kit sent to me. This is after I had cut off my Cat-converter to weld it on to the new exhaust. In other words, I am stuck running from my down pipe until I get the exhaust I wanted so that I can weld my Cat onto it. Because of this, it is difficult to hear squealing when driving, especially since my shifter boot quit on me and I can simply look down at my driveshaft, so the exhaust sound is always present. Now, I figured my fan belt was loose or something, so I tightened it up. It doesn't squeal anymore when I rev, but I think I can still hear some squealing when I drive....or perhaps I'm paranoid.

My question is this; Could the squealing be present only when driving and not when revving at a stand still? Wouldn't a timing chain rattle instead of squeal? Is there something else here that I could be missing? Another belt/chain? This is the belt I tightened: (Picture is from another 280z, but same engine)

010-2.jpg

Thanks a lot HybridZ, I don't know what I would do without you guys. Such a great community!

Edited by TheCrazySwede

Chains don't squeal. Its your fan belts. They can get glazed and slip even when tight. Time for a new belt.

I figured as much. Is it normal to have it squeal when driving, but not when revving? Before I tightened it, it would squeal even when you rev, but it doesn't do that anymore. Am I just a paranoid driver? I will have the belt replaced, but I don't have time to do it today. The car starts fine, the voltage is fine, AC and everything works, so I should be safe to drive....I hope....right?

Thank You for the reply, JohnC!