HybridZ

New and need wisdom of group

Z8

I have visited the board before and was seduced by the tales of massive torque and HP. I took the bait, now I need your support in getting it running right.

Our story so far...

Have built and installed a very healthy 77' 302 and modified C-4 in a 70' 240. It will start but will not idle. When first started revs high then starts to die.

I have double checked the following:

-TDC on damper = No. 1 piston at TDC.

-Crank key @ 12 o'clock = cam punch mark @ 6 o'clock.

-TDC on Damper = distributor at No. 1 terminal

Checked the phase of cam while I was checking the alignment marks.

All parts, including the full MSD billet ignition system are new.

When the dist. is set on the No.1 terminal and it should start it does not, when I start adjusting the dist. way out of whack, it will start but not idle. Which led me to believe it was a timing thing, I put the dist. back in 90 degrees around but still can't get it to idle. I blocked vacuum lines thinking that might be it- no effect.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm running out of ideas.

Guest Anonymous

I'd also look at fuel, or perhaps a blockage in the fuel line. Also are the idle adj screws backed out a bit? I wouldn't limit a no idle situation to just timing. Just an opinion of course. Look also for a vacuum leak, like a hose off, or the manifold leaking somewhere, they don't want to idle for nothing if theres a vacuum leak in the intake.

Regards and luck,

Lone

I plugged the vacuum lines, could be one of the other ports in the manifold that are not being used, I'll double check the seals. I have played around with the idle screws to an extent-does not seem to have an effect.

Thanks for the reply, I'm open to any ideas at this point!

Double check the firing order of the plug wires from the distributor to the plugs. Make sure that number one is at TDC on the compression stroke and makesure the rotor is lined up with the number one plug wire in the cap. If the timing is at least close and there's fuel, it should idle, even if it is rough. Also check for vacuum leaks around the manifold/head surface.

That's all I can think of.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Do what Tim240z said first. Then check fuel(ala Lone). IMO, if it runs and then dies I say it's a fuel problem.

jon

Hmmmm....if it's a fuel problem, could it be that his float is sticking closed? When it starts to die try pumping the gas pedal sevral times. If the float is sticking closed you might be able to keep it running by doing this. If it works it might be that your float is sticking. Or maybe it is stuck opened and you are flooding your engine. Do you smell gas? Just some thoughts.

Problem solved! After re-checking everything I found some unused vacuum ports on the manifold that were not sealed with teflon tape. After resealing it idled enough to get a scope on it and get the timing adjusted. Thanks for the tips! I still have to bleed brakes,etc., but I'm looking forward to big fun-Desktop Dyno predicts 393hp @6,000rpm and 400ftlbs @4,000rpm with the combination I have put together. The car took second in the nation in SCCA SoloII (BSP class) so is already set up to handle.

Z8

I have a suspension setup from Ground Control. It consists of coil over shocks w/threaded collars to adjust the spring perches. I have several sets of 2.5" springs to use depending on the track surface. The tops of the shocks mount to a ball and socket piece that allows a camber adjustment and every other bushing is poly with offset ones allowing caster adjustments. The shocks are 5-way adjustable Tokico's, front and rear strut braces and a huge front and modest rear sway bar round out the suspension mods. The rolling stock is Revolution 3pc rims 9" front and 9.5" rear. I use DOT Hoosiers 255/50 for SOLOII cone-killing and run 255/40 & 285/40 Yokohamas AVS on the street.

Thanks for the welcome Tomahawk Z, I built the car to be good all around performer. I won't be the quickest at a drag strip, but a 12 second flat (maybe 11's ?) car is respectable in anybodys book. The V8 puts me in EMOD class for SOLOII, which at even 2355lbs I'll be too heavy, but I'll be competive on a local/regional level. On track days the C-4 will hold me back a little, but with a power to weight ratio of 5.99:1 I won't be the slowest car there! You know, I've had quite a few sports cars, but I always end up buying another Z.

BTW do you have the Tomahawk body kit on your car?

Guest tom sixbey

hey z8!!

the suspension you have is the very same one i'm ordering from ground control.. - are your wheels under the stock fenders? - if so, can you tell me what your backspacing is?

I wanna make the best of my tire/rim combo for autoX and street use...

Tom, I have serious flares front and rear to clear 255 & 285 tires on 9" & 9.5" rims. The rear are bond/rivet on fiberglass, the fronts are the stock fenders trimmed and rolled. I can't remember the back spacing of hand, if your interested I will measure it for you.

Z8