HybridZ

Camber plates with stock struts?

Guys, I read through the faq and as many of the archives as I could find. Sorry if I missed the post that covered this. I was wondering if there is any combination of shelf parts that could make the bolt in GC camber plates work with the stock strut/spring setup.

From looking at the struts, and the plates, it seems doable, but not sure without custom machining etc. I don't really need full coilovers, but would like the caster/camber adjustment. From my readings the adjustable control arms don't seem to be the better solution. Thanks for the help.

The top of the stock strut will hit the sides of the tower as soon as you move it a little. Jack the car up and look up into the tower from below to see what I mean.

If you want adjustability with the stock strut and springs, you'll need to swap to adjustable TC rod and LCA such as from TechnoToys Tuning. Also, keep in mind that if you want a lot of camber, you may exceed the limits of the thread length for the tie rod ends. Caster will likely be limited by the tire hitting the front of the fender/air dam.

FYI, I'm running the TTT TC and LCA with stock struts and have 2.0 deg camber and 3.0 deg caster and that's about the limit without further mods.

Edit: my comments are based on my 73 240Z. Just saw another of your posts where you say you have a 280z. I'll let others chime in on where the limits of camber/caster are for the later Zs with adjustable TC and LCA.

Edited by Zmanco

The top of the stock strut will hit the sides of the tower as soon as you move it a little. Jack the car up and look up into the tower from below to see what I mean.

If you want adjustability with the stock strut and springs, you'll need to swap to adjustable TC rod and LCA such as from TechnoToys Tuning. Also, keep in mind that if you want a lot of camber, you may exceed the limits of the thread length for the tie rod ends. Caster will likely be limited by the tire hitting the front of the fender/air dam.

FYI, I'm running the TTT TC and LCA with stock struts and have 2.0 deg camber and 3.0 deg caster and that's about the limit without further mods.

Edit: my comments are based on my 73 240Z. Just saw another of your posts where you say you have a 280z. I'll let others chime in on where the limits of camber/caster are for the later Zs with adjustable TC and LCA.

I'm in a similar situation. Currently running 1.5 deg camber, 4.0 deg caster which my bias ply slicks really seem to like. I plan to switch to A6s which I hear like 2+ degrees camber. Do you happen to recall the thread size/pitch for the TTT TC rod hex adjusters? I plan to machine some longer ones to get more caster.

Thanks for the tip. Just looked at it and you're right. Oh well. I wasn't really thinking about the spring dimensions at the time. Was focusing on the "how could I make it work" aspect. Gotta remind myself to think in all dimensions sometimes.

Do you happen to recall the thread size/pitch for the TTT TC rod hex adjusters? I plan to machine some longer ones to get more caster.

The problem with adding more caster is clearance between the outer tire edge and the lip of fender as the wheel is pushed forward in the wheel well. I don't think there is any issue with the length of the TC adjusters.