HybridZ

Cylinder Head core plug repair in car??

So I started and ran my 76 280z after it sitting for 2 years and let it run for 15 minutes and when I came back to it I heard the sound of air whooshing from the engine bay turned off the engine let it cool and started looking around and found there was no water in the radiator :blink:

so I put water in and started it again this time water was pouring out of the head core plug.

Can I replace this core plug in the car?

Are the rubber plugs an option?

I did search for answers about this and only came up with 2 posts about core plugs but not much help with this particular one.

I honestly don't mind if this is somewhat of a bandaid for now I just need to get it running asap to get a smog I have worn out my welcome where the car has been sitting all this time and I have to get it back on the road.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Geoff

If you can access the plug, there is no need to remove the part from the car to replace it.

You mean the one on the back of the head?

Get some 3/4" plywood to brace against the firewall, take a 24" breaker bar with a socket that fits in the plug, and make a slight fulcrum and whap the breaker bar to drive in the new plug. It's tricky but can be done like that... I wouldn't try it on an S130!

Getting it out is a bit trickier, I used a prick-punch and then lever it out with a prybar.

OR

You can put in some Aluma-Seal and see if it plugs it without any more trouble!cool.gif

Good Luck in any case!

You have to remove your heater core, drill a hole of appropriate size, and use a LONG extension to put it in from the interior of the car. You can make a plug from a nice stainless steel "Knock Out Plug Filler" from Home Depot. They work for most larger holes that aren't being used in the firewall...