HybridZ

Help me out with an R230 please...

BLKMGK

I'm starting to seriously ponder doing something with what's left of my Supra and the 240Z is looking like a very nice candidate home. I currently have a 383SBC and T56 in there but it's never been stressed and I've never been really happy with it, I really loved my Supra. The Z is an excellent candidate but I wish to make sure that I can avoid breakage, the 2JZ was making 590WHP on pump and 720WHP on race gas. I hit the limit of the stock head and cams, I have a ported head and cams sitting...

Currently I have a VLSD from a 300ZXT and ZXT CV axles. I wish to move to Cobra brakes and regain use of my e-brake and I want something seriously solid. I worry about my stub shafts to say the least and the 3.7 gearing in the current rear is awful for the V8 and even worse for the 2JZ. The Supra has something along the lines of a 3.07 gear and taller tires and I'd like to get something close to that. I really want to keep the V160 6spd and will be doing some measuring to see if this is possible soon - if not I likely won't do the swap.

Anyway, I'm confused as to what my R230 options are. I'd like very much to get a diff with speed sensors, an LSD, and a tall gear. It looks like the 2008 Pathfinder diff came in at 2.97:1 which is perfect and apparently hated by those guys but will it mount? What are my options for LSD as this app apparently didn't have one?

My plan, if a diff can be found that works, is to go with MMS stubs, axles, and possibly their mount along with Cobra brakes. Waiting on Ross to get back to me regarding this but the diff itself is the huge question mark. Am I chasing a unicorn here?

Well, as it happens I've managed to find more information here as well as chat with Z-gad who has pretty much done EXACTLY what I want! It's possible and I'm starting the process of gathering parts. I had heard that Ross had some stuff going on but I'm not going to count him out. I need to get hold of John over at Beta too for his subframe to mount the motor. This may take awhile but when done it ought to be darn nice. Stay tuned, still planning but the board has really come thru with some solid tech info once I figured out what to look for. Armada diff, ZXTT LSD :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I've got a ZX TT R230 complete with a pair of axles. I have Silvermine brakes coming. I have billet stub axles coming once they are in stock. I have an Armada 2.9 REAR diff coming, I think this is the correct diff? Some posts mention using the front diff?! ohmy.gif

One question boggling my mind is what exactly to do about axles. I was under the impression I needed two sets of ZX TT axles and that i would be swapping the CVs around to get one single set of axles. I cannot find any good details on this although with a great number of R230 threads my head is swimming. I am reading about bottoming out of axles damaging differentials and that possibly one shaft is shorter on one side and I need to use both of those. that cages need to be flipped?unsure.gif I have also been told that there's some sort of "end stop" that might be needed to build these axles, someone named Mark figured it out and that without this I could run into issues.

I've not found a thread that goes through this step by step in English, perhaps I've missed it? ModernMustang has a pictorial that helps some but no text to tell me WTF they are doing.

The diff itself will be an Armada case with TT output shafts and a TT VLSD, gearing will be 2.9 to match my previous Supra. Can someone provide me some information here or point me to the right place? If I need custom length axles to mate with these CVs a source would be appreciated or measurements so I can ping Moser. M2Diffs axles don't appear to be what i need.

Thanks!

Edit: Ah, have been pointed to this one! http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/25054-r230-axle-assembly-a-pictoral-review/ This one also has some information http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/91309-hybrid-r230-armada300zxtt-pictorial/page__hl__r230

post-46-009679500 1340241038_thumb.jpg

post-46-030320300 1340241039_thumb.jpg

post-46-022361300 1340241041_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLKMGK