HybridZ

5.4 modular

Guest fordguy57

Guest fordguy57

I can pick up a low mileage 97 Expedition 5.4 and auto trans for $1200, or just the motor with electronic control module alone for around $600. Believe then would need to use T45 instead (as 4.6 uses). But I know next to nothing about these modular motors. Anybody familiar with these things (particularly the 5.4) in typical stock form (not Lightning version..). What are the good, the bad, the undetermined...? Thanks, Mike H

But to add to this, the 4.6 has a RL/Stroke ratio around 2.1 (or maybe more). I can see where this would be great for a rev'r motor, but it seems to beg for some stroke. I don't know, but I'll bet the external dimensions for the 5.4 will be the same as the 4.6, and the weight will probably be comparable too.

Guest MarksM

>>"Isn't the 5.4 L even taller (more deck height) and wider than the 4.6?"

Yes, this is where it's extra displacement comes from.

A 4.6 with the DOHC heads is a wee bit larger in dimensions than a Boss 429.

A fantasy combo for me would be an 03 Cobra engine in a last generation RX-7. Of course there's no way in Hell it would fit in there.

we have a 97 ford expedition with the 5.4. i personally really dislike that engine. it has really nice low end torque but for it's size and stuff it should be pulling a lot more power. i'm personally disapointed with this engine. although being in a much lighter car like the Z it should be pretty cool, if it could even fit, but i still wouldn't choose it.

Guest MarksM

While the 5.4 makes decent power and does have a nice Torque curve the 4.6 is a better performance choice. The added displacement of the 5.4 comes from a longer stroke. The bore size and spacing is the same as a 4.6.

For some good mod motor info, check out http://www.mtcforum.com

• 1 month later...