HybridZ

Rebuilding L6 due to rod knock, a question

MrBlah

I'm rebuilding the L28 in my 1976 280z. It has a rod knock. Now, I know where to get parts and all, but my question is this: Since I have a rod knock, what other things will I have to do for the rebuild? Will it be necessary to have the crank ground? And chance I'll have to replace any connecting rods?

It would depends on how long you have this knock problem. In any case its wise to check everything. Measure your cylinder for roundness, your connecting rod for warpage and your crank journal for out of round. Get yourself some precision measuring tools. If you have the "how to built an l6" from frank hosowitz (sp?) it shows you how to check for all this.

Good luck!

You should get this book. It's probably covered along with a lot of other things you should know -

How to Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine: Covers L-Series Engines 4-Cylinder 1968-1978, 6-Cylinder 1970-1984 [Paperback]

Tom Monroe (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340052817&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+rebuild+nissan