HybridZ

R200 stub axles

Hey people; Newbie here. i need some educating. I have a diff. (r200 viscous) and axles (6 6olt flange)from a 1991-1996 300zx. can i swap the axles for the 300zxT axles (4 bolt flange)? Is it just a matter of pulling the stubs from the diff and swapping or do i have to make internal dif. changes, or just replace the outboard axles/both axles? I tried to look around for info n this but was not successful. i guess my more general question is "will any 300zx? axles work with any R200 diff.? Appreciate any and all pointers or info. I am buying an Arizona Z track pack and need to match up at the hub with either an adapter such as the one offered by Modern Motorsports or try to locate a bearing from a Q45 to match my outboard axle splines. Hope i am being clear!!

thanks in advance.

Edited by Kclank

The output shafts for the R200V are different from the open r200 and clsd. One of the outputs on the vlsd is longer so that it can engage the viscous coupling. As far as I know there's no easy way to swap a viscous unit into a Z.

The only thing that even comes to mind is the possibility of the splines on the axle bar being the same between the vlsd and the open or clsd. But I don't know if they are and I don't have such parts sitting around to check. Even if they were, you'd need to get adapters and convert to CV axles for it to work.

The output shafts for the R200V are different from the open r200 and clsd. One of the outputs on the vlsd is longer so that it can engage the viscous coupling. As far as I know there's no easy way to swap a viscous unit into a Z.

The only thing that even comes to mind is the possibility of the splines on the axle bar being the same between the vlsd and the open or clsd. But I don't know if they are and I don't have such parts sitting around to check. Even if they were, you'd need to get adapters and convert to CV axles for it to work.

thanks for the input. i am low on the learning curve on many of these details.

Edited by Kclank

The output splines and shaft diameters are different.

The only swap 'n' play axles I know of are the '88 Shiro axles, which will be near impossible to find.

I'm planning to make a set of axles from parts that I have on hand to install a VLSD in my car.

The output splines and shaft diameters are different.

The only swap 'n' play axles I know of are the '88 Shiro axles, which will be near impossible to find.

I'm planning to make a set of axles from parts that I have on hand to install a VLSD in my car.

i am following your build and like what you have done.