HybridZ

Glyptal Paint fot Intake Manifold

Neveragain55

Hi Gang,

Coming to the end of my intake manifold customization and I have one last crazy question…..

I’m planning on getting one of those “snake†Dremel attachments, attaching a flapper wheel on the end of it, and snaking it through the runners to smooth out the interior walls of the runners for better air flow.

As with everything I do, I’m also thinking of going overboard and coating the entire inside of the manifold with Glyptal Paint. http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=glyptal&srccode=ga130060&gclid=CKrL6riq37ACFUZeTAodaDy7zg

Most of you know Glyptal paint is used inside of engine blocks on the bottom where the crank resides so oil can flow better.

I’m thinking that if Glyptal paint can withstand the heat and demands of the inside of a block, it can easily withstand the demand of the intake from day to day plus the air will flow even better.

Thoughts???????

Oil is a surfectant, it drips down the surface and spreads along the areas it touches... Air however has a boundary layer, where the air close to the surface moves slowly and the air further out moves much faster.

I would just leave the manifold inner faces as a lightly sanded surface.

I agree with kiwi. Also, the inside of the block only gets as hot as the oil (maybe a bit hotter) but the intake runners are in between the exhaust runners and therefore subject to much more heat. I wouldnt trust the stuff to stay inside the intake walls for long.... plus it is sensitive to other chemicals like brake fluid and carb cleaner. Just my 0.02

Glyptal in the intake runners is ill advised. While solvent tolerant, paint in intake runners isn't done by anybody... It comes off. The "if" outweighs the "might"!

Glyptal in the crankcase is more to seal casting sand in blocks which are not cartridge rolled for oil return. While it smooths the interior incrementally in this role, not a big factor in drain back compared to sealing role.

Crankcase temperatures are consistently higher than intake temperatures. The cooling effect of the fuel atomization and airflow through the runners keeps it considerably cooler.