HybridZ

aluminum

cameraobsess

i have been toying with some ideas latly and i was wondring if anyone makes a aluminum 302 block. it seams like it would be something people would want so someone should be makeing one but i cant seam to find one. in fact i cant seam to find any v-8 thats aluminum except chevys new 4.6l is there anyone out there?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my dad telling me about an engine Summit Racing was making for a showcar/dragcar Minivan (he used to work for Trick Flow). I actually got to see the guys turning some wrenches on the short block build up, but i never got to see it run. I'm not absolutely certain, but i think it was an aluminum Chevy 350 block, aluminum heads/intake, bored out to 427 or 454 (yea, a lot!), pretty sure 454 now that i think about it. And just an obnoxious amount of power, that would easily fit into my 77 280 as my dad pointed out. I can't tell you where they got it, if they sell them or anything. But I'd call Summit Tech/help/order line and see if that gets you anywhere.

Yeah, somebody (I don't know who though) makes them. And they recently have been priced much more reasonably ($1800 I think). Ernie (RacerX if I'm correct) knows the specifics on it I believe. The weight was not much lighter than the iron block though, just a lot stronger.

I just looked up aluminum blocks in the Ford SVO catalog and found two blocks for 302's and three for 351's. The part numbers are:

M-6010-F302 (302)

M-6010-F87 (302)

M-6010-X352 (351)

M-6010-X351 (351)

M-6010-Z351 (351)

All of these blocks have a note below that states you must call Raceparts Distribution, Inc. (704) 892-8688 to purchase.

One interesting note, the catalog lists the weight of the aluminum blocks between 92-122lbs for the bare block vs. 135-205lbs for cast iron 302 & 351 blocks.

Josh

Guest Anonymous

Bill Jenkins found out something interesting about aluminum engines while testing cast-iron vs. all aluminum BB Chevys during the '60s. An aluminum engine makes less horsepower compared to an identically built cast iron motor.