HybridZ

Dimensions of L6 needed

Dead Roman

I'd like to get this information as well...but maybe a little more detailed. I'm moving, but leaving my motor with the machine shop here to do the full rebuild. I'll be headed back down in a few months to pick it up, and I was going to build a wooden support to set it in while moving it and keep it in until I'm ready to put it back on an engine stand.

I was thinking of a "sling" underneath the oil pan and up/around the sides of the block (nothing will be attached to the block so it'll be bare) that I can just drop it into here, put it on a truck, and leave it there for a while until I'm ready for it.

Has anyone done something like this and/or know the dimensions I'd be dealing with?

I measured 30 1/2 inches from the bellhousing flange to the face of the pulley (280zx turbo 3 row pulley)

With an engine on the ground level and sitting on pan at proper angle, I get 24 to 25 inches.

It looks like 21 inches from the throttle position sensor to the starter or oil filter.

It's right around 13 inches from crank center to the tps on the stock manifold and about 7 or 8 inches from center of crank to outermost part of the starter.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Anytime I've shipped them, I built a small JIG. I used the metal parts of the motor mounts that bolt to the block they bolt to the mount on the crossmember by two bolts. I cut some boards at angles and screwed the motor mounts to the boards and it sat on the pallet very similar to how it mounts in the car. Worked great on the last one I got shipped here from florida. It keeps the pan from getting beat up. So basically it sits likes its mounted in the car but on a pallet. I used two of the transmission bolts on the back of the block bolted through wood supports so it wasn't "laying" on the pallet at all. Then finished with criss crossed ratchet straps and it was solid as could be. Use good wood though, not some pine or something it will fail. Don't ask me how i know.

• 2 months later...