HybridZ

1978 280z build

Hello, im new to this forum and to Nissan/Datsun all together so first some background info. Two years ago my older brother had his first son he had a 04 suzuki gsxr and as it goes he deemed it would no longer be a safe mod of transportation, so he traded it for a 1978 280z 5 speed. the Datsun was in decent mechanical and cosmetic shape for its age but he soon grew tired of it and three months later gave it to my younger brother on the condition that he take car of it. Fast forward one year and nine months later and my younger brother has moved to LV Nevada and has left the Z behind due to mechanical issues and for me to do what i see fit with it. the car is in rough shape starting with the L28 i have reason to believe it was run with low oil and it has developed what i have diagnosed as rod knock,I replaced the starter a few months back as it had seized but now it doesn't catch the flywheel every time and grinds when it does so I'm assuming the flywheel is missing teeth. Clutch is done grabs at the very top, clutch peddle is so soft i can depress it with no effort which is really annoying, slave cylinder is leaking the transmission itself whines...BAD. rear diff seems to holding up but is open not a lsd as far as i can tell. paint is done with the drivers side rear quarter panel primered.

So now for the plans i would like to get a lsd r200, rear disk brakes,240sx 5 speed, rebuild the stock L28 with internals to support boost, mega squirt, new gauges dampening and ride height adjustable coilover setup, new rear control arm and diff support, new carpet seat swap and paint.

The Z isnt going to be driven while all of this is being done so its going to live in the garage with as much of the work being done by me so progress will be slow but hopefully steady, i would like to start with the engine but as used parts become available locally i will jump on them. i would like the Z to be mostly highway friendly but im sure it will occasionally see the track so gearing will be mild, hopefully the boost makes up for tall gears.

I look forward to hanging with you Nissan Guys and hope i dont run into too much trouble but from the looks of the forum there is alot of knowledge to be obtained now to figure out how to post pics lol.

GOPR0187.jpgGOPR0172.jpg

I was trying to get to the bottom of the engine knock today so i disconnected the wire to cylinder #6 since the knock is only present after 25k RPM i revved the engine up and no knock was present. expecting the worst bet hopping for the best I pulled the valve cover today hopping i wold find a worn rocker arm and or lash pod but its full of sludge.

Edited by milkm4n

YUMMMY!!! that looks like fun.. Well If you're having issues like that I would really recommend you pull the motor and either rebuild it yourself, or have it rebuilt. That kind of crud in the top of the engine means there's crud in all the oil passages, and likely your bearings are in bad bad shape. Not to say it is for certain, but contaminated like that isn't so good. That being said. you could pull off the head, and send it to be rebuilt. then pull off the pan and clean it out. Using brake cleaner sprayed through the passages and maybe replace the rings and bearings while you're there, but it's much easier to do w/ the engine out of the car.

Picked up a cherry picker yesterday to pull the engine, and I'm looking for a quality rebuild kit but as I am looking to eventually run low boost I think I will have to piece one together.

Ebay/MSa should have full kits is you can't get one from autozone/others...