HybridZ

Ford motor mounts

PETEW

I know no one is producing motor mounts for Ford motors, yet. I am going back and forth between a turbo 6 from a 280ZX and a 302 mustang motor. There is a guy locally who has a '85 302 with the 5 speed for $600. The engine was rebuilt recently and was in a car until 4 months ago. I would go the Ford route but lack of a mounting system has me a little worried. I am trying to make a car the will autocross nicely and be decent in the drags, as well. 302 seems like an obvious choice to me but after doing a search and hearing about how much work it takes and there being no set instructions or mounts I may have to pass the engine up. Let me know what you guys think. Is the Ford conversion really that hard, or is it being blown out of proportion. Thanks for the help guys. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply SCCA. I have been on your site a few times. I like the look of the mounts, but I wish I could find some drawings. If I had them, I could take them to a metal fabricator, and get the job done right. I figure this '85 motor will be a good start since it is the roller design with ease of 4 bbl carb. I like injection but just more to do. I've been through the search area a bunch of times for mount pictures. I like the fact the motor is so light and will make a balanced car. If any one has drawings of the mount system they used I would love a copy. My dream is to make a car that can autocross all day then go to the drags at night and do a high 12 low 13 time. Thanks again.

Pete

Guest Anonymous

I was able to use alsil's mounts with a 1991 302. I used the 1969 Mustang coupe (bolt-through) engine mounts ($57 Canadian) plus Flowtech "street rod"ceramic coated headers PART # 32000 ($330C Lordco). This worked well. My only caution is to wait to drill the actual holes in the mount you are fabricating (the holes that the bolt goes through that bolts the fabricated mount to the Ford mount...clear?) because for some reason mine was about 20 thou different that alsils...I also had to grind the fabricated mount a bit for header clearance. No biggie.We only had to put the engine/tranny in and out twice to get everything to work - see if you can beat that!

Yup, that's mine. I got an email last night baou it.

There are 2 revisions to the mounts-

1- adding a bottom part to the mount, making the part that slips over the frame a "C", so the bolt goes through the mount, frame, then the mount again, to resist motion and sagging.

2- move the actual mount holes (the tubes the motor mount bolts go through) out 1/8" for each.

This makes the mount more rigid. I am thinking about doing a redesign with a tube, that would drop into place, ala the Focus 5.0 mount (they stole my idea, dammit!) icon_razz.gif

So far, even without the reinforcements, it's worked great. I just am not satisified with the placement completely, and I want the engine a little bit higher.

Other than that, I'm having a great time with the car now, since I have got past all the engine problems (take my advice, NEW is the way to go. Also, don't take ANYBODY'S word for it. Chekc stuff yourself!).

Al

Guest Anonymous

I also used Alsil's mount design, though along with extending the reach buy 1/8" I lowered the engine an additional 3/8". I also sleeved the frame with 3/4" x @.125 tube rather than build a "C" config.

Much thanks to Al for putting this on paper.

• 10 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I have a 1980 280ZX and am planning to transplant a 289 and C4 auto trans. from my 1970 ford van. can anyone give me any info on what kind of mounting system will work for me? hopefully the stock exhaust manifolds will work, I guess it will all be a trial and error thing...