HybridZ

289/302 Swap into a 72' 240

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am getting ready to swap in a 5.0l Mustang engine into my '73 240z. Mounting the engine is not that tough. Especially if you talk to Alsil and ask him to make one of his mounts. I did and it is a fantastic piece.

My biggest concern was the FI system. But with Ford Motorsport producing a set of wire harnesses to facilitate the installation of the engine into non FI cars, it is pretty much a plug and play.

I had the same dilemma as you (turbo L6 or 302). In the end, the 302 is lighter, cheaper to buildup, and more reliable/HP produced. The engine sits behind the front axle line and weighs less than the L28, so it is a win/win for the Z

Mike

The Ford conversion is less documented than the more ubiquitous Chevy swap. One reason is that a kit is available that simplifies the fabrication process for the Chevy motor. Other than that, the work involved is basically the same. This includes fabrication of motor mounts (which as stated above can be purchased from a fellow member I believe). A suitable transmission (another mount to fabricate), shortened driveshaft, driveshaft/propeller shaft adapter, and other misc things such as clutch engagement pieces, and deciding on an EFI or carbed induction system. These are the basics, and as anybody on this site will tell you, none of it is beyond even the most tenderfooted of gearhead. Ask specific questions, and you'll get some good answers. Just allow yourself plenty of time to fiqure out what you want to do, and how you're going to do it. Don't rush into it too quickly or you'll end up back tracking because of simple mistakes.

Guest Anonymous

Pick up a Chevy V8 conversion manual from JTR

There are many similarities.

Also a lot of your questions could be answered by using the search feature of this forum.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Pick up a Chevy V8 conversion manual from JTR

There are many similarities.

Also a lot of your questions could be answered by using the search feature of this forum.

Jon

I agree with both the last posts, check out this page on my site: http://zcar.netdojo.com/fordswap.htm . it has all the info for the swap that differ from the JTR book. basically the only differences are the way they are mounted and a little wiring. I put specific instructions for the Ford swap on my page.

If you're interested in the crosmember to do the swap, email me at zcar@netdojo.com.

thanks

AL :D

the wiring is super simple on the Ford efi-

$5 gets you the ford wiring diagram and its like 4 wires to connect in the end- with the HEGO as well

89+ is the way to go dont use the older efi

no need to buy the ford perf parts wiring harness

Originally posted by Mudge:

What are you guys using to program the ECM/PCMs with on the Ford cars? Do they all require a PROM burner, or are some of them flashable?

Not really necessary on most setups. The stock ford 5.0 computer works great and is very flexible. It will handle all but the most drastic changes just fine.

Gene