HybridZ

Toyota truck issues

suparman

I have a 94 Toyota truck with the 3.0 motorI recently acquired and it has a bad ignitor I can not swallow paying 250 for a failure prone part. I am hoping with all the knowledgeable people here someone knows some alternative I have searched the Toyota forums for answers but there is so much junk on those forums and their search functions suck. I am thinking something like this http://www.yourhotcar.com/prod/MSD/Ignition_Systems/Ignition_Coils/Universal_MSD_Ignition_DIS_Dual_Coil_Ignitor_-_2_Channel_-_6302/771343/

Potential problem is its universal and I know the stock system uses the ignitor for pulse signals to fire the injectors.

Any ideas? I really hope some one knows something

You could probably make a GM HEI module work. Search on zcar.com for skittle's write-up to get an idea of how it might work. Or just figure it out on the basics (which you'd have to do anyway with that MSD part). Two wires to take the ECU trigger signal and two wires to make and break the coil circuit.

The HEI module is essentially an ignitor with "dwell" control.

Unfortunately from the research I have done the HEI module will only work on the 22r and re. Something to do with the fact that the 3.0 has six trigger wires and not four like the 4 cylinder. That was one of the first things I searched for. It worked out real well on my 240 till I finally put the e12-80 on

Are you sure it's not the old "GM HEI has a 4500 RPM rev limit" myth from way back? I've seen it discussed on other forums.

If your 94 has one ignitor, the HEI should be able to drop in and keep up, my guess, if the ECU trigger is similar to the 280ZX turbo ECU trigger. I think that the ECU trigger is just on then off, creating a square wave which the HEI module sees as a zero crossing (has to be something like that or it wouldn't work). I'm just a rookie though, so could be off.

My 95 Nissan Pathfinder has one ignitor/transistor so I've pondered the possibility for when/if it ever conks out.

Good luck with it and hope you figure something out. I love a good cheap alternative too.

Later model HEI Modules have more terminals so maybe you can use that later style one.

Possibly a Bosch Module could be used, ( Volvos, Saabs, and Porsche ), Its used on some Megasquirt installs.

Have you tried pricing one from a BAP Import parts, if you have one in your area. A lot of the times there prices are lower.

Just some suggestions.

So another issue is no ignition switch but I have lots of push button stuff laying around from my stock car here is how I am thinking about wiring it. Brown wire/ constant hot to toggle jumper from second post to push button, black/ white tracer / starter to second post on push button. Secondary hot /black with red tracer to second toggle, alternator/secondary ignition brown with white tracer, and accessory blue with red tracer to second post on second toggle. That just leaves me with a black with yellow tracer/ ign hot hanging loose with no idea where to connect it..... That is alot of hot and ignition wires, no idea why so many.

Edited by suparman

I took a look at the 94 Toyota truck module online (spendy!) and see that it is quite a bit more complicated than the three pin part used on my 95 Pathfinder. I thought that they might be the same, considering the way the Japanese auto makers tend to use the same vendors. The HEI would probably work on mine, but you're looking at a lot more work.

Good luck. Might help you to diagram out what all 9 of those wires do. At least the colors are nice to look at.