HybridZ

240sx transmission issues...

grretc

I'm not sure if this is the right section here or anything but here goes...

I recently found out that after doing my 240sx transmission conversion that the transmission wouldn't shift into any other gear except for 5th. This could have been due to it not being in 3rd or 4th gear when the guy who did the conversion put on the bellhousing and the rods fell out of place or the rods fell out of place during the moving of the transmission, since the cover wasn't on when I moved it from the shop to home. The 240sx transmission shifted perfectly fine before the conversion so something musth have happened from then till now.

Somewhere along the way...I thought I knew what I was doing and pushed something that I think is for 5th and Reverse in and it stopped shifting into 5th. Once I realized it was a mistake I took of the bell housing and tinkered with it for a bit.

The transmission will now shift into 1st and 2nd. When I try to shift it into 4th, it will go in except for the fact that when it does that, it will push the piece that separates the bel housing from the rear away from the rear. If the bell housing was on correctly, it wouldn't be able to do that.

So my question is.... how do I get everything to shift normally and how would I pull the stick i pushed in back out? I guess the rods have gotten knocked out of place and things should be put back into place.

The photo shows the stick I pushed in that now will not come out and stopped me from shifting into 5th...

photo33.jpg

You have it engaged in multiple gears. Remove the shifter assembly, and pull the 5th/reverse shaft up even with the 1/2 and 3/4 shafts. Your transmission currently has fifth gear engaged. Rotate the input shaft and verify that it is NOT in any gear, that it is in neutral. Replace the shifter assembly and shift the transmission into fourth gear. Rotate the input shaft and verify that the output shaft turns and that you are in Fourth Gear. Do exactly the same for third gear. LEAVE THE TRANS IN THIRD GEAR. Put the bellhousing on the transmission, bolt it up, but don't install the front bearing cover plate yet. Check and make sure that the transmission will move in and out of all five forward speeds and reverse...You many not have the ability to turn the input shaft in some gears without putting a spare clutch disk on it for extra leverage.