HybridZ

Ford 352 Cu.In. T-Bird engine in a Z??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has Anyone installed a Ford 352 CI (i think made from '57-63) engine in their Z-Hybrid. Its an engine you dont hear much about. I would like to buy one and want to know if there is one out there and if it would be a good fit.

I am trying to remember...I think the 352 is in the FE family of motors. Right? If so, it's a big block engine and might not fit very well. I think that they were a good engine. I believe my friend had one before. They can be made to have a lot of power, but again, I think its a big block and might be a tight fit and on the heavy side.

The reason you don't hear much about it was because it had a reputation as being sort of a dog. I'm not exactly sure why this is considering the later FE engines were quite impressive. I don't know how good a choice the 352 is seeing as it has near the weight of a 390, with many less cubes.

I don't mean to discourage you, I just want to make sure you're not doing it just because it's an uncommon engine. To each his own, and if you do throw one in there, tell us about it and show lots of pictures!

Gene

Have you read the article on how to build a 400HP 302 for under $2500? After I get my Z car up and running(trying to get ahold of a 5.0 engine) I will use that article to help me build a more powerful engine in the next year or so. I might not go as high as 400HP. But then again... burnout.gif2thumbs.gif

The 352 is a deep skirt FE big block design which first came out in the 332 form in 1958. Same family as the 332, 360, 361E, 390, 406, 410, 427, and 428. It has the same external dimensions and weight (650 to 670 lbs for a long block) as the other engines in that same family.

Guest Anonymous

I like the FE motors, but I'd be very reluctant to recommend one for a swap; especially the 352, unless the builder simply has his mind set on one. Parts are expensive and sometimes hard to find. A 351W is a far better starting point. As a note however, an FE motor with aluminum heads, intake and water pump is lighter than a stock 351W and a 352 can be taken out to 410ci with a 428 3.98" crank and 390-bore 4.05" pistons.