HybridZ

Starter no power

J240ZTurbo

Yes its connected, I turned the key and nothing happens.

No offense, but if it was my car,the next step would be to test for voltage at the solenoid wire (the little wire) when the key is turned to Start.

And here's another not so common possibility - the mechanical pieces of my ignition switch got so worn that they would not turn the electrical portion of the actual switch. I had to take the switch assembly off the column, open it up, and bend the flat rod that transfers the twist from the key to the switch, to give a little more twist when I turned the key. If you've never had one apart you'll figure it out when you do.

You could check power to the coil as a backdoor way to check the mechanical part of the switch. Key On/Run should have coil power, then key Start uses a different circuit for the coil and solenoid. If power to the coil disappears it's probably your ignition switch.

Just offering clues for your puzzle...

check with a test light to make sure you are getting power commanded to excite the starter relay, if not, see if its coming out of the ignition switch. If its not coming out of the switch, and you have power going in, you need a switch. If you're getting a command at the relay but the relay isn't clicking, check for ground. If you have ground, check the relay

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Either run your fingers over all the wires and check there is no break or corrosion inside the insulation, or get a battery and continuity checker and check that all the wires conduct.

I met that on my '85 Hilux, REAL frustrating to be checking parts and connections, only to find with a continuity checker that one wire was not passing current, due to corrosion and a break from a pinhole in the insulation in the middle.

Guys i can hear a small click on the passenger side; but i get no power to the starter any idea what could be wrong?

Did you measure voltage at the starter or are you assuming there's no power because it doesn't turn? There's a lot of basics missing here, like the battery's charge level, condition of the battery posts, any actual voltage measurements, etc. Sounds like you just have a dead battery or dirty terminals.

Have you checked for voltage at the electrical part of the ignition switch, while cranking?. Do not use a test light, It may light up but you have no idea what the voltage is. Use a volt meter so you know exactly what voltage is coming out of the switch. Someone else also asked you to do that.

A last resort to do: Just remember if you do this, the car will start in gear if it has a manual trans.

Run a new wire ( 10 or 12 gauge ) with a fuse in it, from the ignition switch directly to the small terminal at the starter.

Ok, so by checking a haynes or other manual, Which wire is supposed to have power when you turn the key to start?. Make sure your checking the start signal wire, make sure the car didn't have an aftermarket alarm installed in that wiring also. If that wire has low or no power, the most likely cause is the electrical part of the ignition switch is bad. You still need to check that the switch has 12 volts going into it though. If you have 12 volts going to the switch then i say your switch is bad.