HybridZ

77 280z Trouble Accelerating

Just bought a stock 77 280z..

It is missing quite a bit of power compared to my 76 with tripple webers.

I just cleaned the tank, installed new fuel pump, replaced a clogged injector with a working injector i had lying around. Checked timing plugs and wires everything looks good there.

So no onto the problem...

The car cruises beautifully but when i try to accelerate it wont go past about 3000 rpms. i can go past 3000 if i just ease into it but not full throttle. Sounds to me like enrichment is not kicking in?

Any ideas on what i should be looking at?

ok so i got the car to run decently (revs past 2000-3000 rpms)

what i did:

I removed engine bay filter

sprayed compressed air through the fuel rail/return line

disconnected fuel pump and sprayed air through supply line

connected everything with a fuel pressure gauge between filter and fuel rail

Pressure at idle and revving is 29 psi

I then removed the vacuum line to the FPR and my fuel pressure went to 38

i took it for a spin and 1st gear revs fine to about 5000 or so then feels like it looses some get up

2nd gear revs a little slower and 3rd is even slower than 2nd.

not sure how a stock 280z drives but my 280z with the tripple webers seems to have a little more pickup especially on top end

Is the FPR bad?

What other things should i look at?

BTW i dont think this car has a CHTS

well got the car running great and i had done the 280zx alternator swap/mod

problem...

i was driving the car and got stuck in traffic the temp gauge started to climb to a little bit past halfway but continued to run and idle fine. I then took a right and gave it some gas in first.

next thing i know i hear a pop and the car dies and smoke comes in by the fuse box. i stop the car and start to see smoke out the hood so i pop the hood to see the wiring harness on fire. I grabbed my bottle of water and a wrench and put out the fire and pulled the positive battery terminal.

I just finished rewiring a small section of the harness

this includes:

ground to the side of the block all alternator connections(wired the S-yellow wire straight to battery terminal to get a good sense) and power wire that splits into 3 coming off of the alternator for charging.

I did not have a fusible link for the alternator which is why i had the fire (lesson learned the hard way). So everything is wired back up and i have a fusible link in place. So i start the car and start trouble shooting.

Voltage at the battery is a steady 14.00 volts.

The fusible link for the alternator starts getting really hot so i shut the car off (this is why i had a straight wire in the first place).

What would be causing the fusible link to get hot? Why would there have been so much current to start a fire in the first place?