HybridZ

Bleed 77 280z brakes?

How do you properly bleed the stock brakes on a 1977 280z? I got my car running and need to to a few test runs but the brakes barely stop the car. I'm supprised it doesn't roll down the driveway. I'm going to replace the front brake pads, any suggestions on brands or trypes of brake pads? I've never done this before so it's a learning process.

Start first by checking for leaks where the master cylinder bolts to the brake booster. Remove the rear wheels and check the rear wheel cylinders, for any fluid behind the rubber boots. Replace anything thats leaking, replace the rear wheel cylinders in pairs if one is leaking.

Make sure you have good fluid flow from the part your bleeding also, if not that could be why the car is hard to stop.

Its also a good idea to flush the old fluid out of the line on your first cylinder, get all the 40 year old nasty black/brown fluid out of there. Pump till you've got nice clear fluid. that way you will know you don't have any bubbles in the line, but also that your fluid hasn't been cooked and should perform well.

You should also look up Reaction Disk, in the search on here, there's a lot of threads about it and how it makes if feel like you have no brakes when it's out of position.

Phar