HybridZ

Gas Hood Schock Conversion Kit

I finally decided to go ahead and buy this kit:

Gas Hood Schock Assembly Kit from Z Race Products and I have rather mixed opionions about it. First it took forever to received the shipment (ordered on June 20th, shipped on August 6th), but they seem very friendly and easy to work with. I can't find the post, but someone complained before about the documentation, and I would have to agree - but the kit itself seems to be of high quality. The templates provided didn't line up correctly on my install so I had to enlarge the opening to allow the strut to have room to go through the body. I made adjustments on the other side and that one works just fine.

I'd like to hear from anyone else that has performed this install and see what their thoughts are.

Edited by Bartman

med_gallery_824_764_194914.jpg

med_gallery_824_764_961904.jpg

Sorry my car is so messy! If you want to see a specific shot or angle, just let me know.

The problems are still not over. I wasn't unable to completely close my hood after installation of the kit, and for a long time I couldn't figure out why. I finally removed my fender and figured out that the shock was bottoming out before the hood could close! I got ahold of Jerry and was able to convince him he sent me the wrong shocks. He's told me he will be sending out the correct one's shortly.

I have these as well and ran into the longer shock scenario. A new shorter set fixed the problem. I have not had my car in a completed state for a few years though, so as the body work and panel gaps get worked out, hopefully the hood will line up wel with these.

I think this is a great product, but there are obviously some issues.

The good:

2. The plates that mount the lower ball studs appear to be of very hiqh quality and strength.
  3. The design appears to be well thought out and executed
  4. Seller is easy to work with and friendly

The bad:

2. Installation instructions could use some improvement
  3. The installation templates don't seem to be accurate
  4. The installation seems overly difficult - especially having to center drill and tap the existing bushings to install the upper ball stud. (I got Jerry to do this for me since the delivery took so long). I think most buyers would wind up having to use a machine shop for this.
  5. Quality control - sending out the wrong shocks appears to have happened more than once

Specific problems with my order:

2. Delivery time
  3. Wrong shocks
  4. Template for slot needed to allow shock travel didn't line up correctly
  5. I was sent upper ball studs that were supposed to be long enough to allow them to be installed using a nut instead of being welded on to the bushings, but they were still too short to allow the nuts Jerry included in my kit to be used (I purchased longer ball studs myself).