HybridZ

Strut mount insulator

Hey guys,

I'm working on rebuilding my front suspension (going to start the rears as soon as I get the fronts torn down), and wanted some opinions on how serviceable this strut mount insulator is. It seems relatively sound, but the bearing just flopped right out of it when I turned it over and the rubber "boot" seems to be getting pretty worn. I'm not a terribly good judge of how much wear on these sorts of thing is acceptable, and I'd rather not drop $240 on a set of four of them if I don't have to.

Here are some pics of one of them. They're all of a similar wear level.

post-22903-058609100 1346639383_thumb.jpgpost-22903-084365300 1346639386_thumb.jpg

I was actually serious. The way to remove the stock bushings when/if changing to polyurethane is to burn the old ones out with a torch. They are super durable, even at 40 years old. So durable, in fact, that I discourage folks from do a polyurethane "upgrade." Not worth the trouble, and it's a lot of trouble.

I was actually serious. The way to remove the stock bushings when/if changing to polyurethane is to burn the old ones out with a torch. They are super durable, even at 40 years old. So durable, in fact, that I discourage folks from do a polyurethane "upgrade." Not worth the trouble, and it's a lot of trouble.

I've already done a chunk of the upgrades, but since I've got everything pretty much torn apart, I figured it was worth the effort. And I have to admit burning the rubber bushings out of the front LCA's was kind of fun. I'm looking forward to the rears...not the spindle-pin so much tho.

I usually discourage folks from removing the spindle pins to burn and hand saw out the outer LCA bushings because it is such a PITA for no real reward other than bragging rights. If you wind up trying to do this job anyway, I highly recommend the spindle pin puller loaner program on this website. I've done it with and without the puller and the puller really helps. Without the puller, just go ahead and order new spindle pins in advance cause you're gonna ruin them. I have heard that you can just replace the spindle pin with a long 5/8" grade 8 bolt, which is what I plan to try next time I have to do that job. Pollish and anti-seize the heck out of whatever you put back in there. Even with the spindle puller I'd rather get kicked in the nuts about 20 times than do that job.

I usually discourage folks from removing the spindle pins to burn and hand saw out the outer LCA bushings because it is such a PITA for no real reward other than bragging rights. If you wind up trying to do this job anyway, I highly recommend the spindle pin puller loaner program on this website. I've done it with and without the puller and the puller really helps. Without the puller, just go ahead and order new spindle pins in advance cause you're gonna ruin them. I have heard that you can just replace the spindle pin with a long 5/8" grade 8 bolt, which is what I plan to try next time I have to do that job. Pollish and anti-seize the heck out of whatever you put back in there. Even with the spindle puller I'd rather get kicked in the nuts about 20 times than do that job.

Bolts. Are. Awesome.

DSC00276.jpg

Spindle. Pins. Suck.

IMG_0954.jpg

It takes a LOT of hammering to mushroom a grade 8 bolt like that...

Edited by GreenState