HybridZ

Welded my differential

After some contemplation of pro vs. con, I proceeded to weld the spider-gears of my spare 3.7 R200. I removed the "spool" and ring-gear, but did not remove the bearings. Instead I wrapped the bearings in aluminum foil in (possibly vain) attempt to attenuate heat-flux. I pre-heated the gears with a propane torch, and used a MIG welder to unite the four gears to one another, and where possible to the differential case, taking breaks to give the work-piece a chance to somewhat cool down. After cooling overnight, the "differential" fit snugly into its case, with some forcing via rubber mallet required to seat the assembly into the case (using the original shims and bearing races). I smothered the bearings with bearing-grease and torqued the bearing-cup bolts to 100 ft-lbs (not having a reference for the proper torque rating).

The "differential" is not yet installed in the car, but preliminary inspection is positive. spinning the front-flange of the differential indeed spins the whole unit, with no binding/clicking/slop.

I'll post a photo of the welding shortly.

The next step is wheels/tires....

• 2 weeks later...

Update: installed the new differential and drove the car up and down my driveway (~300' paved strip, plus a 40'-diameter circle). At driveway speeds (up to 30 mph?), I can't report any scrubbing or awkward steering sensations. But the car now lays down to nice fat burnout marks!

I had a welded diff that I mig welded. I didnt like it when it worked and HATED it when all the welds cracked. I put in a helical after that and loved it. I toasted the bearings so I put an open diff in till its repaired. Now it feels like my car is crippled. Hope you like it better than I did though.