HybridZ

Megasquit II 3.57 Can Enabled injectors staying open

motomanmike

Output test modes work on both bank 1 and 2.

Bank 2 doesn't click when you turn the key on as the injectors stay closed.

Bank 1 as soon as you turn the key on you hear the ijectors open and stay open. When I check continuity with ground meter beeps solid.

The megamanual says

If you have low impedance injectors (less than 4 Ohms), set the:

PWM Time Threshold to 1.0 msec, and

PWM Current Limit to 30% in most cases (all V3 main board with active flyback installed, and all V2.2 main board with flyback daughter board installed).

Set the initial PWM% to 75% if (and only if) you have low impedance injectors and have NOT installed:

the active flyback circuit on a V3 main board (assembly manual step #69), or

the 'Flyback Board' daughter card on a V2.2 main board).

If I try to adjust my PWM to 30% IT ERRORS AND SAYS VALUE CAN'T BE LOWER THAN 40. However it will let you in output test mode. This was the preassembled board, states that it can use low imp injectors. When you hover over the ? on the pwm description it says to set values recommended between 10-25 on injector PW period. confused on that one.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not going to go too much farther trying to get spark until I figure this out not much point if part of it isn't working right. It doesn't seem good though. the IDL led does not light up on the stim but all others do.

post-8916-058504300 1348364712_thumb.jpg

Edited by motomanmike

This is what it looks like with the stim plugged in. Ecu on my table hooked up in tunerstudio. Strange thing is now with the stim it lets me burn that value below 40. I've got alot more reading to do. I can't make sense of it all just yet.

post-8916-004363800 1348374034_thumb.jpg

Edited by motomanmike

Just a status update for the group. This is my only hold up on the system currently. Everything else seems to work fine. I'm undecided on a temp sensor so I don't have one installed just yet. Wondering if that is the issue but I wouldn't think so. I think i'll use the stock CHTS sensor but have to calibrate it which I need to read up on the set up. For now here is what I have installed and here are my issues.

240SX TPS sensor. Works on tuner studio but is VERY glitchy, the needle jumps around, values vary 3 points sometimes, will sit idle for a second then fall below, or above 0. I have calibrated it numerous times. One time its closed value was 0 and its open was 28, one time is was closed with a value. It is wired with red to 5v ref, black to ground and white to the grey tps signal wire on MS

LC-1 wideband 02 sensor wired up and programmed. Values match MS gauge to LC-1 display gauge exactly (i know this has tripped some people up I guess I lucked out)

IAT sensor calibrated and works as far as I can tell, showed 75 degrees yesterday which was about right I have it mounted in the stock J pipe, right before the 90 bend.

L28ET distributor wired up with the guide from mobythevans write up. Works, shows RPM when cranking accurately so im fairly certain things are good there.

4 pin GM HEI module, I had replaced my stock transistor awhile back so decided to use it as a cheaper alternative. My board isn't modified to drive a coil direct I currently have spark. I have it wired per the write up on here, for the L28ET stock system, I have my trigger wire hooked up from the MS being pulled up I guess from the 5v ref with a 1k ohm resistor per the write up on DIY's links. Works either way.

Problems still. Injector banks are directly grounded when the MS boots up. Instantly. So my injectors click open and stay open.

TPS fluctuating

Connections to Tunerstudio with the car harness plugged into MS is glitchy. It takes a bit for it to come online. Sometimes I have to power cycle. Sometimes just go clean up in the shop a bit and come back and its up. Plug the stim into MS and boom instantly comes up.

All grounds are good, direct to the battery via a ground block.

12v feed is a separate feed wire fused tied into my main relay for the power of the MS, and also feeding power to the distributor on a separate fuse. I have a small fuse block installed under the hood with 4 fuse slots. 1 feeds MS with a fuse. One feeds the power to the optical sensor in the dizzy with a fuse.

I have a separate fuel pump relay with fuse. It is currently tied to switched key ignition because I couldn't get it to trip the relay via MS. I'm not sure if its enough power to trigger the relay I'm using or a problem with MS, not too concerned about it but maybe I should be with the issues i'm having.

On a side note, how do you guys imbed the MSQ files on this forum. I emailed Matt mine directly, I tried to post it on here and it said file type not allowed?

Edited by motomanmike

Iam having issues with my injectors banks to. The only thing I can suggest for your injector issue. I know you didnt build the board but get familiar with it. Look at the assembly build guide on www.megamanual.com the part of building both PWM flyback damping circuit and standard flyback circuit. those are steps 69-71 make sure all the resistors, diodes and transistors are there.

Do yourself a favour and get rid of the stock coolant sensor. tuner studio and megatune are pre-programmed for the GM sensors no need to calibrate. They are newer, probally more accurate, cheaper and way more to find. The threads are different but actually close take your thermostat housing off you dont have to retap but its recommended. DONT TORQUE TOO MUCH as is its aluminum and will easily crack.

DONT CALIBRATE your tps with it jumping around you have a noise issue, I would check the ground. MS has is its own ground for all 3 sensors ground air, coolant and tps. That could solve your noise issue. this doesnt ground on you - battery but to ms ground PIN 19!!

it has the triangle

v3ext_wiring.gif

wire the fuel pump same megasquirt harness it is powered through ms and grounds relay DO NOT just wire it separately out of the EFI it is part of it.

Softopz I really appreciate the information. I did open the MSII case and look at the particular spots it noted in the megamanual on the injector banks and it appeared to me maybe one of the diodes wasn't oriented right but I may be wrong. It was a pre assembled board. Its still at DIY and i'm awaiting the verdict, either way I just want to get it hooked up. In the mean time, I bought their pre assembled relay board and re did ALL of my wiring. The relay board made it a breeze to install everything. I was able to cut the original assembled harness, and install the relay board and re route all the wiring in a solid 4 hours or so. I havn't loomed everything but it looks 100% better than it did and should make troubleshooting any issues much easier down the road. Also it gives a dedicated power and dedicated ground which hopefully will eliminate the "noise" I had on the TPS hopefully we shall see. I'm still on the fence with the CHTS sensor, I feel it may be a more accurate value of the head temp, but there is calibration involved. I'll probably use it temporarily, it is wired up but I can't put the values in megatune until I get my ECU back, it won't save them unless you burn them on the spot it seems. Either way i'm anxious to get things going.

Are your injectors grounded all the time too? Or are you having firing issues?