HybridZ

Transmission is Light Milkly Grey

RonK

1975 280z with 5spd manual (not sure which one at this point, came installed but not original with car purchased 4mos ago). Trans was serviced and 2-3wks later started being hard to put in first or reverse when hot. Took it in and the tranny fluid was full but a light milky grey. There was a light amount of metal on the plug...they didn't seem too alarmed about the metal, but seemed baffled about the light grey (as opposed to a med-dark grey which would have been more indicative of metal damage??) They changed it but starting to experience the same problem after less than a week. Ideas?

My mechanic asked me, too, if I had been thru a puddle? No, been thru a car was a couple of times... he didn't seem to think that would have caused the problem, so just changed the fluid. But, like I mentioned, I'm still getting some same symptoms ... will keep an eye on it and see how it does.

I've seen milky gray from ground up aluminum. You might have a broken shift fork. Fifth uses the same fork as reverse, how is shifting in to fifth? The remaining pieces of the fork will still shift the gears, but the broken piece(s) floating around get ground up in the gears.