HybridZ

280zx 5 speed shifter Bushing?

Dillon

Not sure if this would fall in this category, but I have a question about the Bushing in the shifter of a "b 5 speed transmission?" I believe it is.

I bought this 71 240z and it has a f54 l28 and a 5 speed, the shifter is very lose so I searched around and found the trick of getting door hinge repair brass Bushing and putting it on, so went get those at local store, and came back and took everything apart to find out it's the shifter with the yellow rectangle type Bushing.. And to my surprise its not even on it.. Like they forgot to put it on.

So the little brass Bushings won't work because the hole in the shifter is rectangle.. so main question is where do I find the plastic yellow rectangle piece?

Junkyard? Any other cars besides the s30 and s130z's?

I think I heard something about the s12?

Thank you

Not sure if this would fall in this category, but I have a question about the Bushing in the shifter of a "b 5 speed transmission?" I believe it is.

I bought this 71 240z and it has a f54 l28 and a 5 speed, the shifter is very lose so I searched around and found the trick of getting door hinge repair brass Bushing and putting it on, so went get those at local store, and came back and took everything apart to find out it's the shifter with the yellow rectangle type Bushing.. And to my surprise its not even on it.. Like they forgot to put it on.

So the little brass Bushings won't work because the hole in the shifter is rectangle.. so main question is where do I find the plastic yellow rectangle piece?

Junkyard? Any other cars besides the s30 and s130z's?

I think I heard something about the s12?

Thank you

Get the older shifter from an s30 and then you can use the Help bushings.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

Look at the shifter in here, thats the one you would need. You'll have to heat up the bushing portion on the shifter so the holes get a tad bigger and freeze the bushings before hand so they are a tad smaller. Should just tap right in with a hammer.

You can get new plastic bushings for the old style shifters from Courtesy Parts or zpecialties.com if you decide to go that route. They might also have new bushings for your ZX style shifter. I would call both if they don't show on the web site. Both easy to work with, and quick shipping.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

www.zspecialties.com

Old style-

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/pName/shift-bushings-stock-7280

I'll check that out, thank you

I really want to stay with the shifter I have it's been cut and bent and sits really well, so trying to find the plastic rectangle Bushing for the zx shifter instead of getting a z shifter..

Got it. I bought some plastic ones from Datsun llc on ebay. I just don't want to switch them out again later.

Thanks, I'm just going to probably try to fab up something, I put the two brass bushings in today, and may try to rig up something underneath them to hold them at the top.

But probably end up buying the right stuff lol.

Would you happen to know what the spring is for in the plastic piece that comes in the zx shifter?

Is it so you can push down to go into reverse?