HybridZ

cam timing a tooth off?

Doomfinger

Ok so a couple months ago I was adjusting valve clearance and decided to move my Cam gear to the second position from the first. The car runs and idles fine but has very little power... I ran a compression test and I'm getting 120 psi per cylinder across the board wet or dry. It's it possible that I have the Cam gear off one tooth? Would it still run smooth like that? I'm getting shitty gas millage and no power. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Which locator hole in that gear is recommended for the best power?

To verify timing, put the crank at TDC and look at the notch through the cam gear on the cam tower. If all you did was change it from 1 to 2, the notch should still be partially lined up with the cam gear, only a bit ahead. If you are off a tooth, the notch will not be lined up at all.

I'll look at that thanks. When I swapped the gear to the next hole I let the tensioner pop out and had to reset it so I had the chain all the way off. Would the car really run with the Cam gear a tooth off? I'm going to pull the valve cover this afternoon when I get off work and take a look.

Ok, just pulled the valve cover, set the crank at tdc on compression stroke and the notch on the timing gear was way to the left of the reference mark. I put it back to position one and moved it a tooth over and WHAM! 150 psi across all cylinders and she runs like a striped assed ape! Thus it's the first time I've gotten excited about the pep of this car! Thanks for the advice!