HybridZ

Turbo vs. Super in chevy small-block

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Exactly Pete, thats what I was thinking. Just route a port to a heat shield. It would look something like a wheel tub (well that shape except closed on both ends except for the cutouts for the plumbing) surrounding the turbo with a hose in the front leading from the air dam/radiator, the back could be longer and deflect the heated air down. This would seem to get air moving over the housing and out of the compartment. A GT40 hood is also a excellent idea just like Terry did with the radiator, just vent the turbo heat out the same duct (heck with the radiator if a person was inclined to do so. It seems like a workable solution. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Kevin,

Apologies, I mis-read that. Check page 70 last paragraph. He was speaking of power pulses using a log type exhaust manifold and the power pulse problems that would cause (using a separate runner header fixes it). The slip joint deal I was talking about (page 71) is for single turbo systems. Sorry my bad, busted for talking out my ass again.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Lone

Be careful mounting turbos low. Mustang folks tried this at one point putting it beneath the battery tray. They found that a seperate pump was required to suck oil from the turbo up into the pan. When this pump fails the oil backs up into the turbo with "bad" results. Fiero kits also had this issue I'm told.

Guest Anonymous

Callaway Corvettes has built several TT V8 engines for their Vettes they make complete kits for sale to the general public, sorry don't have any address for them.

Superchargers come in different sizes just like turbos. You'd want to match the supercharger to the size of the engine just like you would a turbo. I would expect that the HP required to drive a bigger 'charger will be higher as size goes up - that's based on intuition though and could be incorrect. As blower size an HP required to drive it go up you also run into belt issues and if too small the belt will slip and you'll lose boost.

Pick up a Fod mag like Muscle MustangsFast Fords sometime an look at some of the blower race cars. They run huge boost and giant blowers - lot's of turbo cars showing up now. A guy I've met out here has run HUGE power using a race blower on a Ford 302 (something like 20+PSI!) so it's certainly possible to boost a bigger engine. Last I talked to him he was about to go turbo though icon_smile.gif That was one big honkin' turbo he had too!

Bear in mind - turbos and superchargers are both just air pumps force feeding an engine.

Guest Anonymous

Well OK, back to my original question a little bit more. I know superchargers are much cheaper to do but is there some TECHNICAL reason or fact that makes the impracticle on a big engine? Like something about cramming that much air with that much compression into such a big space and still maintaining boost? I dunno. Anyone?

Aw geez, now the friend of mine who's doing a twin turbo 340cube small block Ford is pushing ME to turbo my car. Peeks in the engine bay, points to the drivers front corner and says "cake". Single turbo T66, skip the ball bearing stuff, and away you go. icon_rolleyes.gif

Always easy to dream mind you but I think I'll settle for my car running "right" first (Ahem). He did say that I should hook up with him this Winter as he knows guys that can install injector bungs in my intake and fab fuel rails stands etc. If anyone sees a Victor Jr up for sale "cheap" lemme' know as I'll give it to him to start work ASAP. He also said to skip the big dollar air doors and just use something like an Accufab TB on a plate. He says lot's of folks are using them this way (shrug). Took the time to show me how they've milled his turbo housing on the exducer to increase flow. Those suckers were huge! I cannot even imagine doing all of this just yet and am not sure I'd want that sort of power in this car but it's neat to dream about it. Can't help but think plumbing something like this would be harder than he thinks, will have to keep in touch with him icon_smile.gif

Guest empracing

Man its funny how slow some countrys are to pick up ideas.Im not trying to put anyone down its just australia has had twin turbo v8 projects coming out of its butt lately and its all for power look at www.twinturbov8.com he killed him self may he rest in peace but he had 1000hp @ the wheels before he went theres power in them turbos ah yes seems funny they all go for em over huge superchargers must be something in that. p.s ever seen a twin turbo quad cam can you say goodbye chev?

Race folks have been running them in some classes - especially the Ford guys from what I've seen and of course the Buick folks. Actually Chevy guys probably do too but I don't pay as much attentiion to them icon_smile.gif

I think that the reason they aren't seen so much here is that the rules for some classes make them uncompetitive. I know one of the Buick folks who ran a dragster had so much grief with the rules he parked it. icon_sad.gif He was running a Buick 6 and beating up on the V8 guys. Most every weekend a rule would be made to slow him down icon_sad.gif

Not too many turbo V8s on the street I guess but I think the reason is mostly complexity. My guy seems to think it could be done easily enough so perhaps I'll take him up on it at some point - my motor was built to take boost if I desire. I'd certainly welcome the quiet of a turbo over a blower if it's not too much more trouble. We'll see - this is down the road a good bit I assure you!

P.S Thank you for the link - I'll check it out and ALWAYS appreciate stuff like that. Frankly, I'm VERY envious of the Holden cars you guys get and the Ute looks truly cool. Why has GM of America got their head up their butt? icon_confused.gif

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Because a popular segment of the country (USA) doesn't care about performance, technology or it seems even price anymore (or to put it more bluntly, have they're head up they're butt also). Supply and demand, we (well not us, but average joe American) ask for crap and they are only to happy to give it to us. Besides if they ever gave us the cars we'd want they'd be so watered down by the time the EPA and other agencies got done with them you wouldn't want it anyway. *shrug*

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

My dad has a subscription to PHR and they had a quad turbo V8 in one issue. I'll have to find it and get more details. I just know it was insane. They also had a Chevelle with a huge turbo on it. The piping was the biggest I've ever seen. I'll post later with the details.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Going off of my experience with newer model imports, turbos are a pain. I can't tell you how many kids have come up to me at the races in Camarillo saying they're getting a turbo installed, and then two weeks later finding out that either A. After finding out how much it will be to get everything they need fabricated, they gave up or B. They got boost happy and now their engine is little more than a paperweight.

On the other hand, a supercharger is usually much more economical price wise, easier to install, and easier to control.

Just my .02

Guest Anonymous

Welcome Big Boi to Hybridz! I grew up in Camarillo and went to school at Rio Mesa 1987-1989. Man, we used to race all over down there, especially on Rice and Rose Ave. in Oxnard! My friend Eric Sammons had a bad ass 355ci Chev with a blower and B&M fuel injection in a flared 240Z that used to say CYNRCR on the license plates. Maybe you have seen it? It was about 12 years ago but friends still tell me they see it on Los Posas every once in awhile where he used to live. I'm going to San luis Obispo on the weekend of the 29th to have a little time off and go to a wedding. I'll be driving my 67 468BBC aluminum headed convertible on 17" Torque thrusts with Baer brakes and hotchkis suspension to So Cal. Lover to meet some So Cal boys possibly!! Reply if you think you might be interested and I'll tell you where I'll be all weekend till monday afternoon...

Guest Anonymous

I agree Scottie. Young adult ricers are not an opinion I put much stock in, besides, any HP they get from the turbo is needed just to overcome the wing on the car and then only until it finally pukes from to much boost. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Yes. Back in the early eighties there was a somewhat local 67-ish Chevy II running around with a 6-71 huffer being fed by twin turbos. I don't know how well that worked, but it's been done. That car was in the local "World of Wheels" shows and HotRod magazine or Car Craft.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Sing with me! All I want for Christmas is a Duttweiler-twin-turbo-small block. All I want for Christmas is a Duttweiler-twin-turbo-small block. ok...it doesn't quite sound right...at least, in a musical sense

Guest Anonymous

There were also a few MKI MR2's that had a turbo and a supercharger. They called it twincharged. They are really cool, and pretty fast, but probably not worth the work and money.