HybridZ

Turbo vs. Super in chevy small-block

Guest Anonymous

Douglas,

A few years ago, some cowboy brought up a old "Group B" (read above: turbo and supercharger) Rally car at an SCCA event as an "exhibition only" car on the press stage.

...wicked fast is an understatement. My guess is that 600hp is a way conservative number. Probably much closer to 700hp. Ask any old school WRC fan why they don't use them anymore. 30 psi, ZERO boost lag (ala supercharger), all wheel drive, fiberglass body on tube chassis all weighing in around 2300 lbs... it's no wonder they killed a few dozen drivers off in a matter of a couple years.

I'd say the turbo and superchargers worked just fine with each other.

-Andy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Yup, rally cars are off the hook, I give their drivers tons of credit. I mean the Escudo from Suzuki was built to compete at Pikes Pike hillclimb.

Would I want to drive over 1500hp of V6 AWD tube framed behemoth, well yeah maybe in a straight line, but up pikes peak at WFO? icon_eek.gif It would take a huge sack to drive such a rig in my opinion.

Watching a rally driver set up the car in a slide for a upcoming corner is incredible, these drivers are dead precise, amazing.

Regards,

Lone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

I've read some of Corky's book and found it flawed from the beginning. Look closely at what he says about losing 1/3 through the exhaust, 1/3 through the cooling.... and figure out the #'s... it doesn't add up. If he can't get simple equations at the beginning of the book right, I can't take the rest of it seriously.

I'm sure he has tons of experience working with turbochargers, but it sounds like he doesn't fully comprehend how they work.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy let me explain..

According to Corky Bell, he says 1/3 of the heat powers the crank, 1/3 goes to the cooling and 1/3 of the heat goes out the exhaust. He stated

that a 200HP engine puts out 70HP as heat. How is 70HP 1/3 of the total

heat?

Since it is broken into thirds, then each third should be equal. If we

already know that the 1/3 that is power equals 200, then cooling should

also be 200 and exhaust should also be 200. But this guy gets 70???

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: MegaShaft_2000 ]

Guest Anonymous

I recently got it (Corky's book) and was a little disappointed. Its almost like he wrote the exact same sort of book as Macinnes's book some 20 years earlier. Its just basically updated with fuel injection.

I would have liked a little more how to, and less of a overview style, but since it isn't a one size fits all sort of application, maybe generalities are all you can really cover. It does have some great looking engines and setups. I guess its ok, its just not "Turbocharging your Chevy V8 For Dummies" that I need. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone