HybridZ

Revisiting the WC

Hi all,

I understand that JTR and most folks at HybridZ recommend the 88-92 WC T5s but is there any reason why earlier WC (i.e. 83-87) are omitted from much consideration? Although I'm a novice, my understanding is that other than a slight difference in the RPO (MK6 vs. M39) they're essentially the same and all classified as "world class". Yet there is conflicting information regarding earlier versions qualifying as "world class", some explicitly declaring they are WC while others declaring they are not. Other sources are ambiguous and simply state that GM WCs begin in 1988 without addressing earlier models. To add to the confusion, it appears that production of the MK6 and M39 overlapped and both persisted through 1991. Given this overlap, how does it affect the generalized contention that snchronizers were updated on 88-92 transmissions? :blink: Whew!

I'm just curious whether anyone has undertaken the time to chronicle the exact history of the GM WC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

actually there not all considered world class. one of the main differences is the world class has more bearings and not bushings. and the world class (88-92) is actually a bit stronger. and the sincronizers are a bit better also. I am running a non- world class in my car but its only because I got one at a really really great deal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have run both and haven't notice a difference.  I have been told that they can handle the same amount of power but both are on the weak side.  Syncro's in the wc are better.  Like I said, I have run both in my z with a 400+ hp 350 and a 200hp shot of n02 with drag slicks.  They will last a long time if you don't slam the gears too hard.  Avoid power shifts, fast shifts, and clutch dumps.  I feel the  GM T5 transmissions are stronger that the Z's rear axles and diffs, as my car tends to break those and not the transmission.  You need to use the V8 T5 with the fine tooth splines (26 tooth), the V6 T5 has around 10 splines.