HybridZ

Auxillary Engine Fans - 78 280z

Just installed 3 Electric Radiator fans, (2 small - 1 big) ; my radiator is an awkward size.

Wired them in series, ground to chassis and 12v to battery terminal, through a switch I have in the center console.

All working fine, but when I hit the switch while the engine is running, I can feel/hear/sense a noticeable drain on all the components in the car. Subtle labor on the engine, fuel pump working with less current it seems, leading to fuel pressure issues... I wired the fans separately to the battery and independent of the electrical system of the car to avoid this, but seems I still have the issue.

How do I address this problem? I have a spare capacitor for an old subwoofer, would wiring this to the fans spare the load on the car?... The engine only acts up when I stress the fresh-charged battery it seems...

It sounds like you need a larger alternator. The system voltage is dropping due to the additional load from your fans. Measure the voltage at the battery with and without the fans running, at idle and with the engine at about 2500 RPM. With the fans running the voltage will likely drop a little at idle but should be the same at 2500 RPM (as without the fans).