HybridZ

GravityFlyer's '77 280Z V8

Hi everyone,

I'm finally at a point where I can initiate my build thread. But first, the background story....

The 280Z was purchased by my father in 1977. I was practically raised in the car and all my life have been involved in the Z subculture. In fact, shortly after I was born my father decided to take his first born son for a ride in his Z - our first father/son adventure. Unfortunately, after a few short miles I apparently vomited all over the car. :oops: Many years later my father taught me how to drive in the same Z (in fact, I still remember that night). In 2001 he passed away as a result of a heart attack. My mother contemplated selling the car since it would only sit untouched in the garage. I countered that it probably wouldn't be worth much and that it is somewhat of an American tradition to hand-down a father's sports car to his son. But since I had neither the time nor money to do anything with the Z it has been in storage for the past 11 years.

This summer I had a sudden realization and deep desire to work on the Z. Since I had almost zero experience and knowledge I have spent the past few months learning everything I can about cars. Alas, I'm finally at a point where I can begin work and revitalize the Z. Thus, I now begin this build thread....

My 1977 280Z, Lake Tahoe, circa 2003:

034.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAY 1.

Finally got the Z out of storage and began by taking stock of the overall condition of the car. It's been about 9 years since I last saw it.

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Overall the car is in good shape, although some rust issues in the rocker panels, dog legs, fenders, and frame rails. Fortunately it appears the floor pans are still in good shape. I suspect that at some point the car must have bottomed-out, scraping off any rust inhibitors and exposing it to the elements of time and weather.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun . Lol . Which V8 are thinking ?

Thanks, definitely having a blast! (Although sometimes it can be a little overwhelming trying to learn everything.)

In terms of V8 I'm slowly piecing everything together by relying on several sources including Vizard's books. At this point I've got an '87 SBC with stock crank and rods which I'll have machined and bored .030 over ('87 and up block was specifically selected based on Vizard's recommendation regarding block wear). I also lucked out and got ahold of a brand new Holley 750 CFM four barrel street carb at a great price. Meanwhile, for the rest of the components I'm probably looking at KB hypereutectic flat tops. In terms of heads, I'd ideally like a 58 or 64cc with 2.02/1.6 valves. Cam will be 224/230 at 050 with 110 lobe separation. I'll probably complete it with 1.6 rockers since I can get a good deal on a used set.

BTW, if anyone is interested I'm parting out and selling 280Z components that will be replaced by the V8. PM me if you need/want something in particular.

Looks good. Great background story on the z. I love to see cars that have stayed in the family and been passed down. Giving attention to a vehicle once cared for by your father is one of the top ways to remember him in my opinion. In my case it is a 1962 volkswagen van, which I will hopefull y one day give to my son as well.

DAY 8.

Removed the "rat's nest", aka engine harness.

IMG_0741.JPG

Couldn't figure out how to remove the damn connector from the junction box. As I move forward with the project, however, I'm starting to learn the fine line between finesse and brute force. In this case, I chose the latter and took a saw and cut the connector out!

IMG_0736.JPG

But for future reference is there an easier way of getting it out?

Looks good. Great background story on the z. I love to see cars that have stayed in the family and been passed down. Giving attention to a vehicle once cared for by your father is one of the top ways to remember him in my opinion. In my case it is a 1962 volkswagen van, which I will hopefull y one day give to my son as well.

I'm delighted to hear that most guys think I made the right decision. In retrospect, I think both my mom and I knew in our hearts that we couldn't let go of the car. Perhaps some day I too will pass it along to my son?... Glad to hear you're gonna do the same!

Couldn't figure out how to remove the damn connector from the junction box. As I move forward with the project, however, I'm starting to learn the fine line between finesse and brute force. In this case, I chose the latter and took a saw and cut the connector out!

But for future reference is there an easier way of getting it out?

I managed to get the connecters out without destroying the holder....  but for the life of me, I can't remember how.  :icon50:  Sorry.