HybridZ

Reusing lash pads

Ben's Z

I got my rockers back from Delta and another P90 cam is inbound. I have read some threads about hi po cams and setting them up and finding correct lash pad thickness. Should I reinstall the old lash pads to see how close I am? Looks like I need to trim down down my feeler gauges to fit in the slot on the lash pad? If my wipe pattern is ok would it be kosher to use my old lash pads even if they are out of order, or is that a no no. I am going to in Dallas next week and can pick up parts from courtesy nissan if I need to, so that is why I am getting answers now.

Ben,

No problem re-using lash pads. It sounds like you are going with a stock cam? Look carefully at where the rocker tip interfaces with the lash pad, this is the only wear surface on a lash pad. You should be able to see where it has run, but definitely not be able to feel anything. If there is a wear pattern you can feel, toss that lash pad. I have a bin full of stock lash pads, I would be glad to pick out a dozen good ones and send to you. As long as your machine shop did not sink your valves into the head, or otherwise leave the installed height all over the place, you will be fine. Get some layout blue (or a black felt tip works in a pinch) and see how wipe looks. They should be pretty close to centered on the cam follower (or rocker, whatever your terminology is). In all likelihood, the pattern will be fine since you did not change the base circle of the cam. If you see something you don't like the looks of send me a picture, and/or give me a call.

Good luck!

AK

Trimming down the feeler gauges is done to either check lash at the pad or to figure out what size pad you need without having to buy a couple and hope.

If it is a stock cam try the stock pads and do the wipe pattern and check it. If it is wrong, don't run it, just wait and get the right ones first. As ZGreek says, all you need to do is clean up the rocker arm contact pads and color them in with a sharpie. Let it dry for a minute, then turn the engine over a couple times by hand and pull them back out to see if you're running off the end of the rocker arm contact pad.

Edited by JMortensen

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys I did some wipe pattern checks. I am favoring the the valve side of the pad. Thicker pads correct? Question is how much thicker do I need to go? For all I know all the valves could be totally different but thus far I have checked 3 exhaust valves and the wipe pattern is about equally favoring the same spot towards the valves. 1 size bigger 2 sizes bigger?

Are you running the cam off the lobe? If the wipe pattern shows about 1.5mm or 2mm from the edge of the pad, it's fine.

I put blue marker all over the pad, and there is marker left on the pad, you can just tell that is favoring one side. I just ran to the garage. I am going to coat the rockers again tonight and spin it over a few times.