HybridZ

280z hazard relay?

My 77 280z hazard lights don't work. But my blinkers do. I just replaced the blinker flasher solenoid that was under the driver side dash above the steering column and my left and right blinkers work but no hazard lights. I was wondering if there was a seperate solenoid or relay for the hazard lights and where it is located at.

Try replacing the flasher unit and the blinker unit. Sounds like you replaced the one just replace the other since your there. I had the opposite. Flashers worked but blinkers didnt. Took my turn signal unit to get refurbished and still nothing. Then took some electrical cleaner from advanced auto to the hazard switch on the center console. Spray the CRAP out of it literally, I had built up gunk in mine. Then it worked perfectly.

I had much better luck taking apart the haz switch and cleaning that. I had the opposite problem with my 280z when I brought it home (haz, no blinkers) and it turns out the haz switch 'turns off' the blinker circut (so you can't have the blinkers and haz circuits fighting each other). I cleaned mine up and it's worked great the last 6yrs. Baking soda mixed with a little water, old toothbrush works great for cleaning everything up in there. Then, a dab of dielectric grease makes sure you won't have that problem again, and lubricates the switch contacts so they don't wear out.

I got a new flasher for the hazard lights and no go. When I turn on the hazard I notice that the volt meter goes off.

I took the whole switch out and used a multimeter to check all the wires in the switch for bad wires but the whole thing is good.

So I cant seem to figure out whats wrong..

Anyone have a similar problem or know the reason why its not working?

Sounds like you have either a short, or quite possibly a bunch of corrosion somewhere creating a partial short. Open up the switches and check inside. Did you do your check with the switch plugged in, or unplugged? Try removing the haz switch from the circuit, the blinker can and the haz can one at a time while you're checking that voltage.

Well, It's Midnight and a half, And after a few hours of working on my car, I Finally got it all working. What I did was I took the whole center console out. took the wiring harness that all goes to the haz switch, rear defroster, seat belt light, etc.. and I unplugged the two large connectors on the passenger side. That allowed me to take all the wires out of the car and work in some real light. I took all the wires, tested them, sorted them, and then individually taped them according to what they went to. This made for a much cleaner harness and looked great. Next I took some sand paper and a wire brush and got rid of all the corrosion in the fuse box. There wasn't much but it was enough to mess up my system. Also I took some electrical contact spray and sprayed where they 2 big connectors are and sprayed all the connections to the switches. After it dried, I tested everything and it all works great. Put everything back together and it feels good to have my car back together after what seems like weeks of work. I don't think I have ever seen my interior look so clean! Now I just need some carpet..

Thanks to everyone who posted, it all helped me trace wires and helped me think.

Awesome! Electrical gremlins at their best!

PS. Might want to take notes on your wires in the center console too (especially if you have a dozen that don't go anywhere, but you've traced them down) My old masking tape labels have fallen off the wires a from 6yrs ago (when I had a crappy haz light problem myself) and I had to re-figure out all the wires last time I was working on the radio.

Edited by yellowoctupus